View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:06 am 
installed on a kt400 based system .. the oddness between the onboard ac97 saved me the trouble of trying to get output to the audigy i like that "feature"
sys specs ..
amd 2400+
asus a8v7nx-x
512 meg ddr
nvidia fx 5200 w/ 128 ddr
200 gig WD drive
wintv pvr-250
sb audigy2 zs (gotta love everything in surround )

i came to knoppmyth cause i was tired of bangin my head tryin to get myth to work under slackware 10 ... i got close .. but the channel wouldnt change and the audio wouldnt work .... but not any more LOL

tho there still is the annoying bit of lag w/ live tv which i havent been able to find a fix for ... other than that .... it runs awesome ... even the ogl w/o the updates nvid drivers

if anyone has a plain and simple fix for the video lag .. give a shout ... tho .. there doesnt seem to be a link to the audio fixes posted .... i've tried them

(edit)
moved this post to the tier 2 because of fun mods i made to get it 110%

installed the included nvid drivers and .... holy crap ... .... knoppmyth makes the windows support look like a film from the '60's ... the few artifacts are still present .. but they're not too noticable .. maybe a frame or so every now and again
banged my head against mythstream for a little bit ... got it working
dont apt-get anything .. just compile it yourself .. it'll go alot smoother :)

who needs windows now when knoppmyth is out and beautiful
*goes off to hunt down his setup pin number* grr ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:39 pm 
leftnutrzr wrote:

I like this bit of advice. I have never used apt-get and i find it strangely unnerving that it can just go off onto the internet somewhere and install some version of some things all by itself. I much prefer to know what version of things I am installing and to be abvle to keep a copy of the things I have installed so I can do it again if necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:41 pm 
leftnutrzr wrote:
tho there still is the annoying bit of lag w/ live tv which i havent been able to find a fix for ... other than that .... it runs awesome ... even the ogl w/o the updates nvid drivers

if anyone has a plain and simple fix for the video lag .. give a shout ... tho .. there doesnt seem to be a link to the audio fixes posted .... i've tried them

The lag is a natural consequence of the buffering. With MythTV you never really watch "live" TV you watch a scratch recording. This is why you can pause, rewind, skip ahead (if you're behind), ... The lag is the time needed to get enough content through the buffers and into the scratch file for you to playback.

After a while you realize the channel surfing is silly anyway when you can pop up the guide or the browsing OSD and go directly to something interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:35 pm 
tjc wrote:
leftnutrzr wrote:

The lag is a natural consequence of the buffering. With MythTV you never really watch "live" TV you watch a scratch recording. This is why you can pause, rewind, skip ahead (if you're behind), ... The lag is the time needed to get enough content through the buffers and into the scratch file for you to playback.

After a while you realize the channel surfing is silly anyway when you can pop up the guide or the browsing OSD and go directly to something interesting.

that was the big draw of mythtv to me ... it looked like a tivo on (insert stimulant name here) :lol: everyone i've been showing the system off to loves it and wants one for their places ... so .... i'd say about half my profit from that is gonna come right back here :D

the lag i was referring to was the video jitter that is present before you install the nvidia drivers, not too unadaptable .. but still annoying if you're used to nit pickin things like video quality and sync ...

it really does work and look alot better than on windows .... w/ win32 you have to wait about 5 sec after hitting pause for it to actually pause ... god that was annoying .. but not anymore :D

Greg Frost wrote:
leftnutrzr wrote:

I like this bit of advice. I have never used apt-get and i find it strangely unnerving that it can just go off onto the internet somewhere and install some version of some things all by itself. I much prefer to know what version of things I am installing and to be abvle to keep a copy of the things I have installed so I can do it again if necessary.

coming from slackware to debian ... the idea of apt-get is kinda nice but in a way retarded because there could be some dep that the maintainer forgot to build into the deb and poof .. there's a failed install
i almost never ran into dep hell on slackware .... cause i knew what was going where

though on an rpm based system building your own can cause some problems like deps not being there .... notoriously installing xscreensaver from source on mdk 9.1 ... which doesnt have the bc package installed by default .... :roll: and i thought i did a full install and selected all the pkgs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:39 am 
I'm sorry, but this may sound rude, but anyone who thinks apt get it a farce can just go on and play with any distribution that they want to because I think you are full of #%#$^Q@#$ I lo love deb because the developers 9999999999/100 think about that kind of stuff and I don't have problems with it.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:31 pm 
LOL X
it's all good

of course that is the reason for ymmv ... there's alot of different setups .. and ppl do wacky things *points to self*

i'm sure apt-get for a desktop implementation is perfect for what it's needed for ... i'm just a bit short sighted and didnt really see a use for it in relation to mplayer-k7

na .. you dont sound rude .. just proud of your distro .... which is perfectly fine by me :)

Post subject: RE: apt-get...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:28 am 
Try running a bunch of servers without apt-get for a week and see what happens.

Of the machines I have online now, the combinded uptime is around 4 years.

And thanks to the parent of this post. It looks like I'll be having a successful myth install after all. At this point, every piece of hardware I use at home has been mentioned as working fine at least once.

I've access to about 5 tuner cards and will post results of the install on them. (And 4 different motherboards, 3 different video cards, 2 different sound cards and 1 partridge in a pair tree.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:36 pm 
very cool
only oddity is that the volume control from the remote doesnt work w/ the audigy in the setup i have

to turn up the volume i have alsamixer up via ssh and alter (wave) out, center, surround, lfe
i just wish there was a way to change that but in setups where the comp is hooked up to an amplifer you'll be good
i have creative t5400 speakers :)