View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:43 pm 
Hello. First knoppmyth install to replace a functioning, but aging FC3 hand install that has started to develop some annoying quirks.

Landed solidly in Tier 2.

P4 3.0ghz + ASUS mb
nVidia fx5200
DLink D520(?) 802.11g
DVICO fusionHDTV DVB-T lite + remote
Dual Layer DVD (LG i think?)
Samsung plasma via DVI

Install progressed without a hitch. Looks like autodetected graphics, dvb, wifi, etc all without a problem.

Reboot. Scripts run. Get a pile of errors because there is no active network connection but they fly by so fast I have no clue if it was anything important. I hope not.

A request - would be nice to be prompted to enable some of the common things (e.g. "Do you want to enable samba, webadmin, etc"). Just a yes/no question. Would beat having to dig around after the fact for each of these when you figure out they aren't working.

Hit the dreaded "small fonts" problem. Think i'm stuck. Fonts are literally 2 pixels high and completely unreadable. Wifi isn't autoconfigured so i can't get into the box from the outside. Able to stab at menus randomly until logged out. Search forum and find you need to kill gdm, edit XF86Config-4 to add the DisplaySize parameter. Still needs some tweaking to get the fonts right, but it's now good enough to be useable.

Run mythtv-setup. I still find this whole process unnecessarily convoluted, but thats mythtv's fault, not knoppmyth. Nice to see the autoscanning for DVB is a ENORMOUS improvement from the last time I tried it in 0.17. Don't need transport frequencies or anything. It just works. And no duplicated channels so you don't have to clean up a mess in the channels table later.

Install my own grabber (tv_grab_au). I don't know if the one from the install is any good, but i've been using this one without any problems so no reason to rock the boat. Do mythfilldatabase and things look ok.

Madwifi drivers have been auto loaded. Just needed to add a config file for madwifi and do a "pump -i ath0" and the network is up. A wishlist item would be to have the install config the wifi -- or at least provide a default config file.

Launch mythfrontend. I had forgotten how dreadful the default theme is.
Everything seems to work --- even the remote which surprised me.

After watching for a bit I discover things aren't all well with the remote. It's occasionally regurgitating keypresses at some random time after you've pressed it, sometimes continually. E.g. you jump ahead 30 seconds in a recording. Keep watching and in a few minutes it does it again on it's own..... and again. Repeat. I'm going to drop in an old, local build I did of lircd for my previous install and see if that fixes it.

Scheduled a couple of recordings and things looked to work.

Tempting fate I put in a dvd and tried to play it. Xine gets launched, flashes up a splashscreen and a dialog and then drops back into myth. I haven't looked at what the cause might be yet.

Haven't tried burning a DVD yet. With the xine problem I'm keeping my hopes low.

Overall I'd give the install a 7/10. The small fonts issue was the real killer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:45 pm 
No need to exit gdm for the small fonts issue. You can always just switch to a console (ctrl-alt-F1), fix it there and then restart gdm using the command (as root)
Code:
/etc/init.d/gdm restart
I have noticed that my remote occasionally implements the last button pressed instead of the button I am pressing this time. This usually occurs when I am not pointing the remote directly at the receiver. It also occasionally happens when I use the remote for my TV. This happened with an old remote for my pixelview play-tv pro frame grabber card as well as my DVICO remote so I just assumed it was a problem with the way lirc handled a code that wasnt quite received correctly. I would love to know if you find out otherwise.

Post subject: dvico remote
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:38 pm 
Thanks for the gdm tips Greg. I've never messed around much with X11 so i don't know all the secret handshake key sequences.

For the remote issues, I'll say I never noticed any problems with the remote in my previous install. With this new mythtv install it's happening all the time. For example, If you use any of the skip keys, the you have to hit something that'll be harmless to repeat (e.g. the play button which marks your position) otherwise i'll keep jumping around on it's own.

Previously I built lircd using Jani Talikka's howto for the DVICO card which included a patch.

http://www.users.on.net/~jani/dvico-mythtv-8.html

When I get home tonight I'll try putting in this old patched version and see if that fixes my problem.