View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:04 pm 
To the developer(s) of KnoppMyth - It rocks -

However, I had a slight problem getting the initial boot after the successfull install of KnoppMyth.
The install would work and complete, however when I rebooted the computer never booted from hda, it just sat there with no error messages.
I had one hard drive on IDE0, and a hard drive and CDRom on IDE1. THe hard drive on IDE1 was the secondary master with the CD-ROM the secondary Slave.
I tried making the boot partition active using chdisk and/or fdisk but even thought the partition was shown as bootable it wstill would not boot. When I disconected the second hard drive it worked immediately.

within an hour I was configured and was recording my first show.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:31 pm 
A) You haven't provided enough hardware details. Drive jumper settings? Drive make/model? Motherboard and BIOS? Do you have the full BIOS reporting enabled? Does it say something like "no bootable disk found"? What is the boot order and priority set in the BIOS?

B) A search of the forums should turn up LOTS of stuff related to this. We go through this exercise at least once a week or so with somebody... When in doubt, "search first and ask questions later."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:19 am 
tjc wrote:
A) You haven't provided enough hardware details. Drive jumper settings? Drive make/model? Motherboard and BIOS? Do you have the full BIOS reporting enabled? Does it say something like "no bootable disk found"? What is the boot order and priority set in the BIOS?

B) A search of the forums should turn up LOTS of stuff related to this. We go through this exercise at least once a week or so with somebody... When in doubt, "search first and ask questions later."

A) Below are the detailed steps I did to try and install, the motherboard is a Soyo P4 mb with a 2.4 GHz Celeron and 1GB of memory.

1)First try at installing KnoppMyth I had the 200GB MAxtor PATA drive set to cable select, that didn't work. the 200 GB was the only drive on IDE0, there was a 120 WD and CDRW on IDE1. The BIOS boot order was CDROM, HDD-0. After the install the screen showed boot CD: then there was a line feed and it just stopped there (yes I did take the bootable CD out of the CD drive). There was no error message just stopped after the new line feed from the CD boot prompt.
2)It was the first time I had used the drive and I wasn't sure if the drive actually worked, so I tried to install Ubunto distro. Without changing anything in the configuration Ubunto installed and booted without any problems.
3) re-installed KnoppMyth, but changed the boot order at reboot to HDD-0 then CD, the system did not boot, just stopped after the hardware init.
4) changed hard drive setting from Cable Select to Master. Same reactions.
5) Tried a different hard drive (200GB Maxtor). same result. searched the forum for answers, found one that suggested manually making the partion bootable.
6) Tried booting with the CD, then opening a shell and using fdisk or cfdisk to manually set the partition as bootable. (suggestion I found on the forum for no-boot after install). Same result.
7) Finally removed the second hard drive that was the Secondary master (IDE1), re-installed and KnoppMyth finally booted after the installation.

Hope that was enought detail for you.

The system works now, I have recorded shops, though my HBO channel is the only one without sound. Not sure what that is about, will continue to search for an answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:27 pm 
See my signature below for an example of hardware details, and that's within the limits of 256 bytes, my tier 2 posting shows what full detail looks like. For example if you'd given us the model number on the motherboard we could have checked the Soyo website for BIOS updates and the like. Are you sure you've really got a CS cable and have the HD on the right connector to be master?