View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:47 pm 
Wow, what a process getting this setup.

I learned so much from this forum, but from others even less, and the least with problems that seemed to have no cure, but were just mine (and other's) simple config problems.

The most important thing to remind people who have an mce remote:

There are two versions out there, one for those of you with what the developers call a version one, and a version two. I think this divides into a 2004 remote, and a 2005. (mce 2004, mce 2005)

Most important, the first remote most people have is connected -to- the pvr150 is not version one or two! It's a remote supplied by manufactors of the pvr150, so it's not even an mce remote. (out of my scope here)

A lot of people have problems with this type of remote, so I don't have any good information about it. There is some workarounds, so look for the pvr150 that doesnt' include usb in the webpage.

It will stop working every 10 minutes or so, and is due to the chips on the pvr150. Google is your friend here, or beg me and I'll dig up the link.

Now, if you have an mceusb (known as an e-home receiver on the second version, or a phillips, smk, or a couple others), you obviously won't connect that onto the pvr150, but your usb port.

Now, here comes the problems.

1. LIRC doesn't need to know anything in /etc/lircd.conf to get the usb to work on that remote. (ver 1 and ver 2 I think)
2. If you add a /dev/usb/hiddev0 it will fail in:
/var/log/daemon.log

with:
Dec 12 21:29:12 mythtv lircd-0.7.2pvr150[2815]: could not open /dev/usb/hiddev0
Dec 12 21:29:12 mythtv lircd-0.7.2pvr150[2815]: default_init(): No such device

My conf file:
---------
# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
# Arguments which will be used when launching lircd
LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
START_LIRCMD=false

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES=true

# Run "lircd --driver=help" for a list of supported drivers.
DRIVER="default"
# If DEVICE is set to /dev/lirc and devfs is in use /dev/lirc/0 will be
# automatically used instead
#DEVICE="/dev/usb/hiddev0"
#MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_mceusb2 "
MODULES="UNCONFIGURED"
DEVICE="UNCONFIGURED"
LIRCD_CONF="UNCONFIGURED"
LIRCMD_CONF="UNCONFIGURED"
------

When lirc sees the remote, it works. No further conf of lirc required on that conf file. That was my first messup, and several threads need me to close them with the answer to that.

The only thing, that it needs is in your:
/etc/modutils/lirc
-------
alias char-major-61-0 lirc_i2c #Needed for oldstyle pvr150 and blasters
alias char-major-61-1 lirc_serial #Got a homebrew?
alias char-major-61-2 lirc_mceusb2 #Only ref needed for usb remote
options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8 #I'm a com1 guy
-------

Remember that if you just follow the R5A26 you've got the mceusb & mceusb2 drivers already there.

LIRC will startup on system init, so you won't need to work to get it going.

But there is two files that will mess you up:

/home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc #This is your mythtv 'what to do when I press a button on your mceusb remote'
There is a 'copy' in /home/mythtv/.lircrc (symbolic link, edit:
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc and this one is updated)

/etc/lircd.conf #This is your 'what to send to your cable box/sat' and 'what your mceusb remote just sent me'

Those two files go hand in hand. If either one isn't setup properly two thing s will happen:

1. Mythtv won't see your remote sending codes.
2. Lirc won't know what your remote is talking about.

Since you are on knoppmyth, it's debian and there is other things that will mess you up.

Do -not- edit /etc/modules.conf.

/etc/modutils/lirc is what you need, and anytime you update /etc/modutils/lirc, you need to run : module_upgrade as root.

/etc/modules.conf is updated from the values in the various files in /etc/modutils/lirc, and what comes first in the /etc/modules.conf is important.

Ok, so to revamp real quick, at a point I had two things running fine:

I could run change_chan.sh and make my serial blaster change channels, but mythtv couldn't do so.

My mceusb(ver 2) would control the gui on mythtv.

Things got really bad at this point, and I can't explain what happened.

I got permissions fixed on the /usr/local/bin/change_chan.sh I had created, but then I noticed that somehow, the script had stopped working.

I had followed differerent advice on how to enable a serial transmitter to the already working mceusb remote receiver.

/usr/src
unpack lirc sources there

/usr/src/lirc-0.7.2pvr150/
setup.sh (didn't work, failed)

/usr/src/lirc-0.7.2pvr150/
make
make install
(other commands follow to get lirc_serial to reload)

The point here is that it probably wasn't needed, lirc_serial was already there I think.

And right here, is where the biggest problem occurred.

Like most other mceusb users that do a serial blaster they make from radio shack, I re-built the sources from /usr/src/lirc-0.7.2pvr150/

Now, that is a good first step, you'll need it if you have a setup like me and the bug that others have. The problem is that when you re-make that lirc from those sources, your /usr/sbin/lircd is still there if you don't remove it.

It is now in /usr/local/sbin/lircd when you make from that directory by hand.

So I had a nice bug on my hands, in the /var/log/messages, and on bootup when lirc_serial tried to load, also when I tried to send commands out my homemade serial blaster:
------
Dec 13 20:26:43 mythtv kernel: caller is lirc_ioctl+0x85/0x330 [lirc_serial]
Dec 13 20:26:43 mythtv kernel: [debug_smp_processor_id+140/160] debug_smp_processor_id+0x8c/0xa0
Dec 13 20:26:43 mythtv kernel: [pg0+293978181/1067795456] lirc_ioctl+0x85/0x330 [lirc_serial]
Dec 13 20:26:43 mythtv kernel: [pg0+273121118/1067795456] irctl_ioctl+0x14e/0x190 [lirc_dev]
Dec 13 20:26:43 mythtv kernel: [do_ioctl+70/112] do_ioctl+0x46/0x70
----------

Now, on here there is instructions that say:
'Find your lirc_serial.c file in /usr/src/lirc(yada):
edit:

#if defined(rdtsc)

#define USE_RDTSC
#warning "Note: using rdtsc instruction"
#endif

to say:
#if defined(rdtsc)

#define DONT_USE_RDTSC
#warning "Note: using rdtsc instruction"
#endif

You remake lirc and make install, and viola problem is solved right?

The real problems come in when you try to follow multiple guides, and you get files that are not properly cleaned off your system. (imho)

You'll be running /usr/sbin/lircd which looks at your old lirc_serial (i think).

In any case, when I modified my /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh to use /usr/local/sbin/lircd from that custom 'hack', the error went away and I had sweet, sweet working mceusb remote and a homebrew radio shack blaster.

I'm sure I missed something here, but this should help anyone that is having problems with this setup.

There is about 5 threads around this forum that are not closed, and have users who have this problem, and the aforementioned other problems getting these remotes to work.

This may be a bug in 2.6.13 or even lirc... but small steps can screw you bigtime. Hopefully others will see why some fixes don't work, and the usb remote doesn't work out of box.

A recap of files that you may need to modify or tail to find out problems:

/usr/src/lirc-0.7.2pvr150.tar.bz2
/usr/src/lirc-0.7.2pvr150
/usr/src/lirc-0.7.2pvr150/drivers/lirc_serial/lirc_serial.c (Got bug? search)
/etc/lircd.conf
/etc/lirc/hardware.conf
/var/log/daemon.log
/var/log/messages
/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh
/etc/modutils/lirc
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc

I hope this helps someone, or gets a better OOTB knoppmyth