View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:06 am 
Installation went well. Here's the full specs:

CPU:Intel Celeron 600 MHz
RAM: 256 MB, unknown type (I think SDRAM))
Capture Card: Hauppauge PVR-150
Hard Drive: Western Digital 20 GB (Plan to upgrade to a larger hard drive later

I did have to tweak the XF86Config-4 file to omit the first display mode, since it was doing something funny to my CRT. After that, it ran smothlyly.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting it to talk to a front-end (this box is intended as a back-end). I've tried some of the threads in the other forums, no luck so far, but otherwise, I'm good.[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:30 am 
Those are not "full specs".
    - What''s the make and model of the motherboard or even the chip set?
    - What type of PVR-150? Non-MCE like model 1045? One of the MCE flavors?
    - What type of video card? Nvidia? MX? FX? ??? ATI? ???
    - I'd even like to see model numbers for the HD, CD or DVD, ...

Remember these are supposed to be recommendations specific enough that someone else can tell if certain hardware will work or not, based on your experience. Possibly by looking up the technical specs. for that model on the makers website.

Heck, given the motherboard model number we might even be able to check the website for BIOS updates and tech notes to help people troubleshoot their problems.... :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:20 am 
Sorry. I got this computer through a friend, and even he didn't know the exact specs. What I can tell you is what I've pulled from /proc/

The CPU is a Celeron Coppermine 600 MHz with 128 k cache e

The PVR-150 I believe is an MCE edition, though it is packaged with the Hauppauge remote, as well as the IR receiver and blaster.r. It's identified with the "Internext Compression Inc iTVC16 (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 1)" chipset.

Both the audio and video are integrated.
The audio is an Intel 82801AA AC'97 card
The video is an Intel 82810 CGC. I don't plan to use this for video playback, so I couldn't care less about this piece of hardware. That, and there's no physical room for me to replace it (or an AGP slot)

As far as I can tell, there is a VIA chipset of some kind installed, but I don't know much about it yet. I'll update when I know more.

The hard drive was initially a Maxtor 6 GB drive, but I quickly replaced it with a Western Digital 20 GB I pulled from another "gift" PC, again, I don't know much about this one, but I do know that it only runs about 5200 RPMs, or whatever the standard speed is. It's not in the 7000 RPMs.

The CD-ROM drive is some kind of standard HP drive. When I get the opertunity to install a larger video storage drive, I plan to pull this and put a a hard drive in its place. There is no DVD-ROM drive, or any kind of burner.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about this computer to give model numbers or anything, but I'll do some research, and report back.