View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:36 pm 
I posted similar in other forums. I was about to reply to a home built dragon user in tier 1, but I did have to modify a file to get sound working.

Keywords: femon, WINSCP3, puTTY.

Stuff I used to get it running to enjoy my Dragon.

You MUST have an almost perfect signal and not allow the HD-3000 to tune to a poor signal or it will crash and burn.

I am using an indoors log periodic (alleged) rabbit ears equivalent.
It s a Zenith brand I found at Sears for 40.00. But I am not pleased that it has no balun to it's coax cable.

Others I know use the barbecue grill twin bowtie set top UHF antenna I have been using since UHF was mandated..Then it said "color ready" now it says HDTV ready lol. But it does work well. for $15.00 you can find a clone of it on radio shack's website. Guess they like to promote the 50.00 jobs in the store. Use a 300/75 balun transformer for best results, look in your old vcr boxes or ask a neighbor for a free one.

The last few weeks, I use femon over puTTY to SSH into the dragon from my laptop over the home LAN to aim the antenna.

Nothing else is warranted under the Dragon guarantee although the menus and installed programs will probably work with tinkering.

I enjoy my music library on any 'puter throughout the house coming from the Dragon HD.

But don't expect much support other than "getting ATSC off the air". It is well specified in their fine print. I spent the equivalent of the Dragon and a couple years with hours of help from this forum and got nowhere near this functionality until I bought a Dragon.

So my payback is I have a working pristine r5a22 Dragon install with a asound patch and am enjoying it.
If you need a copy of one of my config files etc from my working dragon, be glad to share. I output only to a VGA monitor for now, and optical audio to a Sony receiver.

I still have audio issues I am working on for other functions, but enjoy live/recorded ATSC TV.

Good wife factor.

I wasn't around and she picked up the ATI radio remote and being tivo experienced, was jumping around programs and commercials one night when I got home.

Be a good neighbor, shield your lights, save electricity, and be more secure. Darksky.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:33 pm 
Why the multiple posts? And what the hell type of recommendation is this?

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:16 pm 
sorry I forgot to say the asound.conf file in etc had to modified to get sound operational with my Sony receiver, so tier2. Thanks, Jim

Be a good neighbor, shield your lights, save electricity, and be more secure. Darksky.org

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:26 pm 
As it is, this Tier 2 entry reads like a litany of complaints, and I feel I must respond to them, as I do not want others to get the wrong impression about Dragon or StormLogic's customer support.
Nerdful1 wrote:
I posted similar in other forums. I was about to reply to a home built dragon user in tier 1, but I did have to modify a file to get sound working.

I was hoping you would have also mentioned all the time and effort I put into identifying the problem, fixing it, and helping you install the asound.conf file. The wording here and below implies you fixed it without any assistance, which is misleading.
Quote:
You MUST have an almost perfect signal and not allow the HD-3000 to tune to a poor signal or it will crash and burn.

This is only for Live TV, and as we say on the Dragon product page, this problem is not unique to Dragon. It has been fixed in MythTV 0.19, and a Dragon-ready KnoppMyth release with 0.19 is coming soon, after which we will be able to remove that caveat from the Dragon product page.
Quote:
Nothing else is warranted under the Dragon guarantee although the menus and installed programs will probably work with tinkering.
[...]
But don't expect much support other than "getting ATSC off the air". It is well specified in their fine print.

I'm not sure what you mean. What we support is listed on the Dragon product page, and nothing is in fine print. I have helped support you in every way that you have asked, other than the functions we explicitly state that we do not support.
Quote:
If you need a copy of one of my config files etc from my working dragon, be glad to share.

The modified asound.conf that I created has been bundled into KnoppMyth for the next release. At this time, no other Dragon needs any other configuration file to work, and it was only the nature of the particular make and model of your receiver that required the changed asound.conf. None of this was stated in your entry.
Quote:
I still have audio issues I am working on for other functions, but enjoy live/recorded ATSC TV.

When we last corresponded over email, I understood that sound was working properly on your music and recorded TV shows. I'm not sure why you would come to this forum and say otherwise, leading people to believe that we are not helping you with these functions. If I had not been browsing the forums during my off time, I would not have even seen this entry.

Please contact me by email if you require any further support for your Dragon. We are quite willing to help you, just as we have been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:24 am 
I just want to back Human up here as I have worked in Tech support for many years and a lot of people blame the supplier (Human) when in fact it is the client's perception that is not being met.

Some people have unrealistic expectations or do not follow the advice of their chosen professional and when the system does not work as they think it should, that is when it all goes to cabbage.

If you have a problem with a system that you bought, take it back and go somewhere else, I would like to see where else you can get a fully configured, quiet, MythTV box with the support level given by Human.

As they say in Australia, "I'd like to see that"