View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:01 pm 
Hi guys

Great job on the new version, but I am not sure if I am missing something - or if I am still newbie NOB after 4 years of playing with knoppmyth

OK so I haven't played with it for 12 months, but I got a new box - PIII compaq 800mhz

1) Ran install and selected sydney and gave the correct time..
2) Reboot
3) R5F27 did it's happy little - applying update patches downloaded from the net ( I read this includes a new version of tv_grab_au)
4) got to mythtv-setup and completed general (set to australia) and capture cards successfully (it's found my analog card ok)
5) video sources - only seems to have EIT or north american grabbers.

What the heck and why can't if find tv_grab_au

Got the install CD and I ran the install a second time without a network connection ( no friendly patches installed), and this time I got a whole host of grabbers, only I couldn't find tv_grab_au

What the heck..

I tried running it from xterm but it gets lots of errors

how do I get it displayed in mythtv-setup ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:46 pm 
I think maybe the old tv_grab_au that was included with KnoppMyth isn't active anymore. There's a wiki article at http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=tv_grab_au that contains the options for a tv_grab_au. The two options I know are still active are oztivo and shepherd. I previously used oztivo but now use shepherd because it has better program descriptions. The only trouble with shepherd is it takes ages to get the initial list of guide data because it goes to a number of sources and gets the information on each program from imdb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:43 pm 
Howdy,

The grabber that comes with R5F27 is outdated. The patch should fix this for you but anyways;

Code:
cd /usr/bin
wget http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~willu/xmltv/tv_grab_au_reg
mv tv_grab_au_reg tv_grab_au
chmod +x tv_grab_au

That should get it showing up in mythtv-setup.

Futher reading here.

Regards,
Kirk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:13 pm 
Hi Kirk,

thanks for the quick reply, I read that the automatic updates actually includes this updates

I have tried to run this as you suggested and it hasn't allowed me to find the tv_grab_au as a grabber in the video sources

I have tried to run tv_grab_au --configure , but it still hasn't pulled any channels, so I am a bit lost

how to run it manually ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:30 am 
why don't you try this guide here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:49 pm 
this guide is comprehensive, but perhaps it's not tuned to knoppmyth.

I notice that the line says
tv_grab_au --configure --config-file ~/.mythtv/FTA-Oz.xmltv

however I have no folder in the root called mythtv

when does it get created , as I tried restarting the machine and it still isn't there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:54 pm 
hello silentmic,

Thanks for your reply and I looked at shepard. however it's first line is
" Set up your MythTV channels by running mythtv-setup, going into the Channel Editor, and using the Channel Scanner. "

I thought that I needed the channels first via tv_grab_au before the channel scanner will work.. I have this although and I can't find any channels. Does this mean that although knoppmyth has detected my card correctly, that perhaps it isn't configured corectly by mythtv..

can I avoid the whole issue to tv_grab_au and just use the channel scanner to get the channels initially setup ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:48 pm 
I had a "tv_grab_au issue" in that the grabber couldn't be found amongst all the others. Renaming all the /usr/bin/tv_grab_* files then following the download/configure guides worked for me.

The renaming was done with:
Code:
$ su -
# cd /usr/bin
# for f in tv_grab_*
> do
> mv $f ORIG_${f}
> done

BTW, the ~/.mythtv/ refers to the users home directory, not root, so the directory you are looking for is /home/mythtv/.mythtv
The dot in front of the name means that directory/file is hidden, a normal listing, ls, will not display the hidden files. They can be seen with 'ls -al'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:25 am 
It's simple. Install with "country=au" as an arg, and it will automate the process. It will ask for your oztivo (or icetv) username and passwd too, and store this where it is required.

Try my web site http://www.better-access.com and look at the howtos. I put in a lot of effort to make this easy for Aussies.

Mike