View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:35 am 
Let me qualify that a bit. First of all I utterly _loath_ so called ergo keyboards and the huge bugling magic media button festooned crap that seems inexplicably popular at the moment. I want a more or less classic rectangular keyboard with a QWERTY layout. I'm not a trained touch typist, but over many years I've learned to rattle along at a pretty good rate and the geometry of a keyboard _really_ matters. Having keys out of place utterly kills me because I have to think about something that should be automatic.

I'm looking for something sturdy, reliable and comfortable to do lots of work on. I don't care about the numeric pad but do want the editing key cluster which most compact keyboards don't have. Something like the classic Model M keyboard except with the bigger L shaped return key.

The classic editing cluster (no junk in the middle or rearrangement please!)
Code:
Insert Home PgUp
Delete End Pgdown

up
left  down right

Suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:52 pm 
Hi,

I like my old IBM M13 ie, 1996 vintage. Has held up well with coffee spills, screws and solder falling into it over the years and when I press a key I can hear and feel it :)

Also has a pencil mouse for emergency use... ps2 though.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:41 pm 
You can't beat an IBM keyboard.

You can still find them out there, both new and refurbished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:42 pm 
I always loved the old school IBM's too. I like the way they snap, which is good if you're a horrible typist, and look at the keys as much as the screen, 'cuz you can feel when you've hit it hard enough.

My work has been buying a lot of Dells, and these have a nice feel, although I don't know if any have your big enter. Personally I hate the big ole Return key. I like the pipe&backslash over the enter. but to each his own...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:34 pm 
jmckeown2 wrote:
I like the pipe&backslash over the enter. but to each his own...

Oddly that's one of the few difference that doesn't throw me for a loop. Possible because it's obvious by feel. The Dell keyboard at work has the IBM Model M style Enter key with the |\ above it and the big Backspace key above that. The thing that kills me about that one is that I'm forever hitting the left hand Ctrl, Windows and Alt keys with the edge of my palm because they're so exposed. The good news is that it has a pretty positive feel (I'm seldom left thinking the key registered when it didn't) and the rest to the keys are in the "right" place. Here's a picture:

At the moment I'm trying to decide between one of the Keytronic classic models at ~$35 (Not many good pictures out there, this is the best I could find):
And maybe a Model M or clone, although those are even bigger and pricier ($50 and up).

The fact that the only way to find a real classic professional grade keyboard is by mail order is really frustrating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:42 pm 
This is the keyboard that I prefer to use:

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:IBM%20SpaceSaver%20II%20Keyboard:1990951867;_ylt=AlSkE.tIrnvLzECwjbaFSEqVI74F;_ylu=X3oDMTA4ZXVyOWdvBHNlYwNyZWNv

I can't stand to use a mouse, and if I have to, my carpel tunnel starts to act up. :(

The IBM P/N is 37L0888... It's expensive, but worth every penny.

I also have a couple of the OLD Type M keyboards with the two button Trackpoint, but the buttons ended up failing a long time ago. :( The P/N for those are: 82G3281.

I did a quick google, and found both for sale at indexworldwide.com for $90.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:52 pm 
Hi tjc,

http://www.shoppalstores.com/ibmmodelm/ ... home.main/ something like this. no m$ button either!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:16 am 
About a decade ago, I found an IBM Model KB-8923 on sale at a local CompUSA. I bought one, and really liked it. I liked it so much that I went back and bought all that they had (8 or 9). It has a good, solid feel, but does not have the click like the M's. I still use those keyboards on all my machines at home, and have brought a couple to work. And I've still got a 'spare' at home. Easily my favorite keyboard. Using the same model keyboard everywhere I typically type a lot definitely has its benefits.

A quick search for 'KB-8923' shows quite a few available on ebay, if you don't mind used...

Hardware Specs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:42 am 
larrybpsu wrote:

The SpaceSaver was definitely another model I was considering, although I'm not a fan of the pencil eraser pointing device.

As for buying several, I was actually joking with a local friend about buying a 5 pack of the KeyTronic keyboards. Definitely want to try one first though...