View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:00 pm 
I'm thinking about dropping the $85 on a new 500 gig drive so I can keep my existing R5F27 build on the now 3-year-old 320 gig drive.

Anyway, I'd like to let the auto-install format the new hardware and then use manicmike's suggestion and convert my new /myth to XFS. I also want to take advantage of my R5F27 myth-backup files. Is it as trivial as manually copying over the contents of /myth/backup and /myth/tv and somehow aborting the auto install and invoke the myth-restore script to feed R5.5?

I poked around the wiki but didn't find a guide for this operation. Has anyone successfully migrated a system to a new HD? Is it better to formally do as I suggested above, or should I manually partition the new drive, migrate the R5F27 build THEN upgrade to R5.5 or...?

Thanks for the advice all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:44 pm 
graysky wrote:
dropping the $85 on a new 500 gig drive so I can keep my existing R5F27 build on the now 3-year-old 320 gig drive.

I have used the "gparted - live CD" to do this.. in short:
with the drives in place..
1. boot on the live cd.
2. use gparted to create the partitions on the new drive.
3. use gparted to copy the partition information from the old drive to the new drive. (getting the mbr to work is a little tricky.. as I recall, in this forum, there is a procedure that hits this pretty good.)
4. Test the new drive under R5F27.

Just a thought.. did you look at the bigger drives? .. when you look at 320 GB to 500 GB .. not a big jump! (I use the "triple it" rule when upgrading!)

Hauppauge PVR-350, IR Blaster, Comcast Digital Cable
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/KnoppMyth/
KnoppMyth R5F27 >> R5.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:30 pm 
I've recommended a couple different approaches to folks depending on what their goals were.

Approach A:

1) Make a backup on the old drive.
    2) Install the new drive and do an install onto that, you're really just doing this for the partitiions and the /etc/fstab so you can even abort the phase 2 setup.
    3) Copy across all of /myth (easy with both drives attached to the same machine or remote mounted)
    4) Do an auto upgrade using the backup that got copied along with the rest.
Approach B:

1) Manually partition and format the new drive using cfdisk and the mkfs of your choice (mke2fs, mkfs.xfs, ...)
    2) Make a backup and copy everything across to the new drive.
    3) Swap the drives (easier than diddling all the config files)
    4) Do an auto upgrade using the backup that got copied along with the rest.

As you can imagine there are numerous variations on the theme. To do the copying I generally recommend rsync since it has a very nice "archive" mode which preserves permissions ownership and the whole nine yards and checks it's own work by checksumming the files. Lets say that you mount you new root partition as /new_root and your new myth as /new_myth then the following commands will do the job.
Code:
/usr/bin/rsync -avx --progress / /new_root
/usr/bin/rsync -avx --progress /myth /new_myth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:51 pm 
@bbrian - I agree with you, but this machine is going on 5 years old (1.60 GHz Athlon XP) and will be replaced whenever we go HD. The major reasons I'm swapping the 320 for the 500 are to allow me to keep a backup HD of my R5F27 build (and a bunch of captured shows), and to make the XFS thing easier. I don't really care about the extra 150 gigs or so really.

@tjc - thanks for the suggestions! I will try your first approach and backup using rsync. Thanks for taking the time to type out the syntax :) Hopefully, the new drive will arrive before the weekend and will be "good." Newegg doesn't pack OEM drives according to the guidelines from seagate.com; I've had to send back a few in the past due to loud clicks that the seagate techs told me were likely cause due to poor packing/improper handling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:25 pm 
graysky wrote:
@tjc - thanks for the suggestions! I will try your first approach and backup using rsync. Thanks for taking the time to type out the syntax :) Hopefully, the new drive will arrive before the weekend and will be "good." Newegg doesn't pack OEM drives according to the guidelines from seagate.com; I've had to send back a few in the past due to loud clicks that the seagate techs told me were likely cause due to poor packing/improper handling.

For approach A, only rsync your old /myth onto the new partition, you want to keep the new fstab created by the installer on the root partition of the new disk. You might also want to turn the names around (new myth on /myth old one on /old_myth

As for Newegg's OEM disk packing, a buddy of mine in town here has the same complaint, but my last one came swaddled in bubble wrap and cradled in several inches of peanuts. I think you could have tossed the box out of a second story window without damaging the contents... So it seems pretty variable.