View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:15 pm 
I have searched the archives for an answer but so far everything I have read says that the NOVA T 500 should just work with R5.5.

On start up I get an error message
"KnoppMyth found no multimedia video cards"

I also get an error
Mounting filesystems failed

I am not sure if the 2 errors are related.

I checked the following:
lsmod - I got lots of references to dvb-usb-dib0700

lsusb - I get Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2040:9950 Hauppauge

I checked the /dev/dvb directory and I had adapter0 and adapter1 directories

I checked in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware and I have teh firmware dvb-usb-dib0700-1.10.fw

What else can I check or adjust to get knoppMyth to find the card?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:43 am 
Hi (again),

I have a Nova-T 500 and I gave up on it (certainly temporarily). However it should just 'work'. I'll explain the problems I had later.

I get the impression from the information you are supplying that you haven't defined your tuner card or set up the database with channels. This is done through mythtv-setup.
If this hasn't happened, you need to do so. You have to stop the backend to do this.
Here you can define loads of stuff like your tuner card, your geographical region and your channels.
Once youve done all that and exited. (I'd recommend using OTA to get your listing too -if available, as it's much eaisier than doing it the other way. Are you UK based? Are you in an area that gets good freeview?)

As for the problems I had with the Nova-t 500: it wouldn't play with MythWelcome and I kept loosing the second tuner after a while. Other people haven't complained about this, so perhaps it was just me.
I think it has to be something to do with the usb controller on the card that switches the tuners on and off. Apart from that it did work - good picture quality too.

I keep meaning to play with it again on a test machine, but haven't had the time.
Good luck.

oh - btw, I've just had another thought, you *may* have to turn the onboard amplifier on (can't remember if you need to or not with R5.5) but check the wiki for instructions how to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:58 pm 
Hi Tophee,

At first I hadn't set up the tuners in MythTv a bit of checking on the MythTv site and I went through the setup. So far I haven't got it picking up any channels.

One thing I wasn't sure about was setting up video sources - do I need this set up?

I suspect that my aerial may not be right as well, I'll have to test that with a freeview settop box (I can borrow one on the weekend).

I had tested freeview coverage a while back and it was good but at that time the location and aerial were different so this definitely needs to be checked.

I am in New Zealand DVB-T has been made available recently.

Cheers

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:07 am 
Oh yes. Definately need to set up your video source. Now, I can't remeber where you look for that. I'd look up wich your local aerial is - the name of that is usually it. For me in London my video source is "CrystalPalace" then you tie you tuner card to that. Then stations should be picked up when scanned for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:31 pm 
It looks like I will need to do some more reading on the Video sources bit as I am in New Zealand I expect i will need to use XMLTV. The other thing I will need to do is verify that this box has a connection to the internet.

Learning lots - just not enough hours in the day to get it all done. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:36 pm 
I would have a look at the manual on the mythtv wiki.

Bigb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:25 am 
Update:
I am fairly sure that I have now configured everything correctly in MythTV. I ended up using EIT for the video source as this is a digital transmission I can get the EPG over the air.

Problem is, now when I scan for channels I get the signal value peaking at up to 56% but the S/N ration never moves (stays at 0%). The outcome is no channels are found. I haven't yet been able to confirm that this specific eerial outlet has good UHF reception. My other aerial outlets in the house provide a good UHF signal to my TVs.