View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:21 pm 
Thanks to my experiences running several KM boxes, and to all the kind folks in these forums who have helped me out, I am now, happy to report that I finally switched over from Windows XP to Debian (lenny) as my main desktop (dual booting but mainly under Debian). I gotta say that Gnome/Compiz-fusion is a great desktop combo -- even got the wife about 75 % on-board.

I'm also leveraging knowledge acquired using KM about, apt, ssh, vnc, backups, kernels, SAMBA, networking, basic shell scripting, the Debian-specific stuff such as update-rc.d, etc.

Advice to people thinking about making the switch: once you get over the initial learning curve associated with running a LINUX system, I think you'll find that it is a much leaner and meaner product than Windows. Right now, the only Windows application I miss that I can't run under LINUX is MeGUI. Well, that and a few games, but most everything else runs under WINE or as a LINUX native app.

Anyway, thanks for all the help, guys.

Last edited by graysky on Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:57 pm 
Site Admin
Looks nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:53 am 
Looking very nice graysky,

I'm about to ditch windows perminately all I need is time!!!! Maybe I'll save a copy for dual boot or as a virtual machine. As I currently run Ubuntu 8.10 on my second machine and my laptop, and of course KM under the TV it shouldn't be much of an issue.

But so far I have risisted on switching to Linux on my 'main' computer but since I'm using it less and less, so may go for the final switch over because apartfrom the exception of a few games I rarely, rarely boot it up.

What do you have installed on your Lenny install? I like the cpu info and clock you've got going.

I have to agree, Linux is much faster in all areas. Windoze, is sooooo slow.

Hope you continue to enjoy. Oh, and my missus hardly notices the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:19 pm 
tophee wrote:
What do you have installed on your Lenny install? I like the cpu info and clock you've got going.

The cpuinfo is conky. The clock is part of screenlets. The dock at the bottom is avant-window-navigator. It's gnome desktop with compiz-fusion. CF is very cool and can be installed easily following this guide. Screenlets and avant can be installed via the standard lenny distros via aptitude or apt-get.

For the .conkyrc that I wrote, see this thread. You'll need to install several packages to get it to work: lm-sensors hddtemp nvclock.

Here is a list of the pacakges I uses as the base system in addition to the pre-installed stuff:

Code:
ntfs-3g htop vlc brasero icedove grub-splashimages lm-sensors hddtemp xtightvncviewer conky wine compiz-fusion-gnome fusion-icon compiz-fusion-extras compiz-fusion-plugins-extra avant-window-navigator screenlets ntp nvclock decibel-audio-player preload

I totally recommend keeping a list of the packages you have installed on your system in case you ever need to reinstall. If so, getting them back is cake via a single apt-get commend - assuming you have the repos in your /etc/apt/sources.list :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:32 am 
I've already got avant-window-navigator dock on my ubuntu machine. Others have recommended cairo dock, which I may look into. Right - that's 'conky' its one I've not used before. I've got the latest version of wine running wich makes installing the odd widows app fairly painless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:32 am 
Welcome to our side! I've been using linux as my primary desktop for many years and never looked back. (Thanks to Cecil!) The most important thing I ran into without thinking about is my email and browser settings and being able to have them switch back and forth if I wanted to go back.
If you want to try linux out, I'd recommend starting by using thunderbird for email and firefox for a browser. That way if you do need to switch back and forth it is extremely easy to copy over your email files and browser settings. You could always use gmail, but personally I dont like my important information "in the cloud".
In my opinion it is almost the same learning curve to switch from XP to KDE as it is from XP to Vista.
Lastly, ask questions. Remember when you first learned windows? You had lots of questions, therefore it shouldn't be any different than using a different OS.

Just my 2 cents...

MicroAtx Case
2 PVR250's w/remote
eVGA e-GeForce mx4000 (64 Ram with Tv/Out (Svideo))
Lite-on DVD cd-rw combo
120 GB Western Digital

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:59 pm 
tophee wrote:
I've already got avant-window-navigator dock on my ubuntu machine. Others have recommended cairo dock, which I may look into. Right - that's 'conky' its one I've not used before. I've got the latest version of wine running wich makes installing the odd widows app fairly painless.

Cairo dock is glitzier than AWN, but for an amd64 system, it's a pain in the balls to install since you have to hunt down 32-bit libraries and manually install them.

Conky rocks if you're willing to spend a little time writing the config file for your system.

elgordo123 wrote:
If you want to try linux out, I'd recommend starting by using thunderbird for email and firefox for a browser. That way if you do need to switch back and forth it is extremely easy to copy over your email files and browser settings.

Agreed. My system is setup to dual boot. I have my firefox profile entirely on the Windows side and I simply made a symlink to it in my ~/.mozilla/firefox/profiles so there is no manual copying. Thunderbird is equally easy, but since I'm using the amd64 kernel, my enigmal plugin needs to be different from the windows side, so there I copied my thunderbird profile from the windows side and made an symlink to just the /Mail dir. This allows me to use Lin64 specific plugins, yet still have the mail synced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:57 pm 
That was how I got hooked on Linux too. KM and Linux are that good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:19 am 
I had a quick look at installing cairo and I agree - an absolute pain. At least AWN is in the repository.

One of the best little apps I use for firefox is foxmarks - means all my bookmarks follow me everywhere there is firefox. As they've now added secure password sync'ing too, it gets easier and easier to move across machines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:16 pm 
Had to boot into windows for some RAW conversion and MAN was it slow and clunky after using Debian/Lenny for a few weeks! Guess you don't know your O/S is broken until you use one that isn't :p

I'd encourage anyone using a Windows desktop as their primary PC to give Debian/Lenny a try. Once you get used to it, I think you'll agree that LINUX is better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:16 am 
I would like to try this and am wondering does anyone have a dual boot guide so that I can give it a go. I am currently using Winblows Vista :P

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:37 am 
I don't have a specific guide, but installation with an existing OS is pretty easy really. How many hdd's do you have in your system currently? Show me the layout of them/it. Example. two drive:

disk1
c:\ (ntfs) 40 gigs
d:\ (ntfs) 500 gigs

disk2
e:\ (ntfs) 700 gigs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:41 am 
Certainly distro's like Ubuntu you can install via windows (put the CD in while in windows and go from there) leaving you with a dual boot system. This is currently how I'm running on my main desktop machine. Or put the cd in the disk drive and boot off that. Run as live then install. The included disk partitioner is pretty good.
Or do you specifically want a Debian machine?

Oh, Ubuntu is Debian with a bit of a respin. I'm also hering good things about Linux Mint.

My current setup is two disks.
Disk 1 = both operating systems.
Disk 2 = Windows MyDocuments + Linux home

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:53 am 
I think wubi is probably the easiest way to try Linux.

http://wubi-installer.org/

It's a Ubuntu installer for windows that installs Ubuntu in a file (bunch of files?) on your existing file system. It adds an entry to the windows boot loader and you can remove it like any other windows application if you don't like it. You can see all your windows files from Linux as well. It's a nice way to try Linux on any windows machine without installing another boot loader and changing your partition table. You can check out the faq too.

http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:58 am 
Never heard of that or how it works. The grub installation script on the lenny CD is fine. He'll be able to see all his NTFS/FAT partitions with no problems. The important thing is locating /boot on his first disk if he has two or three in case of disk failure in the future. That's why I asked about his configuration.

Go to page 1, 2  Next