View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:27 pm 
Hi all,

I am a very happy R5F27 user but was considering making the leap to R6. I installed it on a test machine and was playing around with it only to discover after a day or so of it running I suspect it upgraded my DB on the older box! unfortunately I have lost the msg I found in a log but there was a msg to the effect that 'your mythconverg DB is version xyz and needs to be 123, upgrading' or something vaguely similar.

Is it possible that the R6 box upgraded it? I managed to recover it from a backup but still, it was disturbing and doesn't bode well for my attempts to get R6 running in future. I need my R5F27 running all the time. BTW I also noticed a msg on the older box talking about auto-expiring recordings that were made on the new box! Oh - that and some Myth protocol mis-matches.

How can I keep my older BE running while installing & configuring the new one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:00 pm 
You found out the hard way. Do NOT mix versions. Your backup is you BEST friend. ;)

I'm a happy R5F27 user, too, and right now, I'll wait until R6 gets a lot more polished. I attempted an install on a spare system with and i810 video chip, and it barfed after the first reboot. Since it's not based on Debian, I'll pass on hacking at it for now.

Let the gang polish it a bit more and wait for the gold R6 release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:06 pm 
Thx for the confirmation, I just wanted to be sure it wasn't a coincidence. Hmm, this is slightly awkward, I guess I'll be firing up a VLAN or something when upg time comes!

larrybpsu wrote:
Let the gang polish it a bit more and wait for the gold R6 release.

Not being a linux-head I wholeheartedly agree. Plus I need a lot of wiki page updates :-) I had a linux-expert friend visiting though and he was eager to play around with it. I look fwd to upgrading but I suspect it won't be for some time yet, plus, I have now learned one impt lesson!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:39 pm 
larrybpsu wrote:
You found out the hard way. Do NOT mix versions.

Don't mix mythtv versions. R5F27 is based on myth .20.2. R5.5 and R6-preview are both base on .21 and do coexist nicely. With the backup and restore scripts and tjc's hints, an upgrade to R5.5 (debian based) shouldn't be too hard .
Then you can still have tried and true and play with brand new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:08 pm 
goofee wrote:
Don't mix mythtv versions. R5F27 is based on myth .20.2. R5.5 and R6-preview are both base on .21 and do coexist nicely.

So I was thinking of doing this but won't there still be confusion with the R6 FE trying to connect to the R5.5 BE or vice-versa?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:15 pm 
poflynn wrote:
goofee wrote:
Don't mix mythtv versions. R5F27 is based on myth .20.2. R5.5 and R6-preview are both base on .21 and do coexist nicely.

So I was thinking of doing this but won't there still be confusion with the R6 FE trying to connect to the R5.5 BE or vice-versa?

R5.5 + R6 (in any combination -- FE, BE, etc) = OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:28 am 
R5.5 + R6 = :(

Well maybe it's just bad luck/bad timing.

I decided to take a look at R6 yesterday (I know I'm a little late checking it out). I installed R6 in a virtual machine (VirtualBox on my Mac if it matters).

The install went great, no problems. I set it up as a frontend only to connect to my FE/BE HD system. Literally within minutes I was able to watch recordings off my BE (SD recordings played fine in VM, not the HD, but I expected that in a VM).

But now my FE/BE system seems screwed up.
Playback of ALL my recordings is broken is some way.
I can start playback, but can't fast forward or skip ahead without Mythfrontend locking up. If I pause and exit playback, I can restart at the bookmark, but it take quite a while for playback to start.
Some recordings will not restart playing and only display the delete/save/rerecord when restarting playback.

I did not do a backup before connecting with R6, my most recent backup is about a month old.

Is this some sort of database corruption? Is this correctable?
I'm ready to upgrade to R6, will this fix my problem? Should I do a clean install and not an upgrade? I only use Myth for OTA, so not much configuration would be needed after a clean install.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

2GB RAM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:35 pm 
As mihanson says, it should be ok as both R5.5 & R6 use Myth .21. So I doubt that your DB schema was upgraded like mine was, fyi.

Unfortunately I have no clue/suggestions but just wanted to let you know that I doubt a DB schema upg occurred.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:50 pm 
thanks for the reply.

I got impatient today and bit the bullet.
I'm now running R6.
Still trying to figure out a few issues.
5.1 audio over spdif isn't working, only have "surround" sound working.
My myth partition is read-only over the network (samba not configured correctly).
Otherwise R6 was a breeze to setup.

2GB RAM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:20 am 
R6 is pretty cool ok.

I'm also struggling with audio over spdif. Are you using alsa or oss? Here's my (very lonely) thread on it, let me know anything you find out!

http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... highlight=