View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:27 pm 
After upgrading the tuner card in my KnoppMyth R5F27 (2.6.18-chw-13) build from a PVR-150 to an HVR-1600 I am encountering an issue with audio on the ATSC side of the card. The NTSC side is working wonderfully.

The issue is a distortion that sounds like a propeller of a Cessna getting ready for takeoff (choppy static with no discernable/useful audio). The video appears fine (I’ll admit that I am still having a fight with scte65scan and pulling the proper line-up from Schedules Direct but that is another story) for both the ATSC and NTSC feeds.

I am attempting to use one of the “zap” utils or gnutv to “save” something outside of Myth but I don’t have high hopes it will lead me anywhere useful.

I’m open to ideas on troubleshooting direction if anyone cares to share.

Thanks a bunch for your time folks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:49 pm 
The 1600 isn't well-supported in R5F27. Have you upgraded to the latest drivers? That's your only chance I think... ATSC support in older drivers was pretty shaky. The card's MythTV wiki page is probably your best source for info on doing the upgrade.

If you've tried the driver upgrade (and even if you haven't) I'd highly recommend an upgrade at least to R5.5 if not R6. 1600 works virtually out-of-the-box in both, and the newer kernel and drivers should be more stable on a newer card like the 1600.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:09 am 
paulsid wrote:
If you've tried the driver upgrade (and even if you haven't) I'd highly recommend an upgrade at least to R5.5 if not R6. 1600 works virtually out-of-the-box in both, and the newer kernel and drivers should be more stable on a newer card like the 1600.

Thanks for the reply paulsid. I have the latest tip of the v4l drivers (v4l-dvb-9d3b80c9f15a) but you may be on to something concerning the upgrade. I had always been a bit leery of doing so in the past (as it was working so well) but now... might just be the right time as this has just baffled me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:05 pm 
How well does the 1600 receive ATSC for you?

I have a 1st gen* and its the worst. I don't even use it since it cant find a signal even though my tv, dvd recorder, and CECB all show ~80% signal strength.

*I believe there are different generations of this card, the model Number on the tuner shield for mine is different than the ones I see in the stores now even for the same sub-model that I have.