View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: R6 QAM channel scan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:08 pm 
Have been using R6.02 for sometime using HD3000 adapters with OTA and haven't had any problems.

I have moved into a new area with very few OTA stations but after setting up my TV I see that the cable company is sending quite a few HD stations in the clear.

When my TV scans it finds 2-1, 2-2, 4-1, 6-1, 6-3 etc

However when I do a QAM scan for the adapters they don't find any channels at all. I do get some Locks but in never reports a channel.

In the "Scan Configuration" I've tried:
Frequency Table; Cable
Modulation Cable (QAM 256) - have also tried (QAM 64)

Any suggestions?

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:05 pm 
Different frequency tables. For example Comcast here uses IRC (us-cable-irc), other companies use HRC. Sometimes the TV will tell you what set it found, other times a simple Google search for your providers name and "frequency standard" will provide the information.

Also see this page: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Comcast_Users_And_scte65scan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:15 pm 
I'm in an area with Time Warner Cable if that's any help. I did try scans for us-cable-irc and also hrc. I scanned once for QAM 256 and then again for QAM 64. Still no luck.

Looked at the TV Menu to see if it would tell me what it used but no luck there either.

Any other thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:13 pm 
Time Warner changed the channel assignments recently (http://www.timewarnercable.com/East/lea ... ineup.html) and when they did, I had similar problems with my HD3000 tuners - could not find (via scan) several channels that I had gotten before.

I ended up doing a few things - deleted all tuners in the setup and re-added them. Made sure that all entries for channels in the database were deleted. Then rescaned (use regular full cable scan) - be careful. I found at least 3 of the "missing" channels that were detected as conflicting channels had to be identified manually. It turns out that when I then viewed them, I knew what they were and altered the chanum and ID.

I also broke down and bought a HDHomerun. That finds them all... And, interestingly enough, the old tuners all tune to each of the channels the HDHomerun found even though the HD3000 tuners didn't find them when scanning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:37 pm 
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:34 pm 
HDHRs are the answer.

I now have a drawer full of retired first gen Air-2-PC cards that require too much signal and were way too fussy.

HDHRs just work.... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:03 am 
I May have to go that way, but I think there may be a problem with the interface as well.

Since I couldn't get any cable digital I decided to try for OTA channels. But after I set up try it run the "Get channels from Lineup"

It won't run. Just goes right to the next line. (it should hang for several minutes while it pulls the data from schedules direct but never does)

It seems to me I had this problem before but got around it somehow.

Also if I try and run the Full scan "all transports", it returns with "program error"

Arggg....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:50 am 
Run the channel scan first... then go back and get the 'channels from the lineup...

Then edit in mythweb: setup/tv/channel info to toss unwanted channels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:06 pm 
Ok thanks I'll give that a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:44 pm 
you could try extending the timeout time. for my PCTV I have to do that to get the QAM channels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:40 am 
I decided that the HDHomerun was the way to go. Found a used one on ebay.

Talk about plug and play! I plugged it up, added the adapter and did the scan. It found all the channels. No other configuration required.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to assign a static IP, and add the information to pull the program data from Schedules Direct. Not all the channels are in the the local line up supplied.

I assume the hdhomerun_config_gui_20100213.tgz.gz is what I need to do that but after the ./config when I try to do the make it says "command not found". Do I need to install another package from somewhere?