View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:20 pm 
Hi,

I am looking to do a fresh 7.4 install om my LinHES computer with a new 3TB drive. Existing computer has 6.04 on a smaller drive. Only 1 drive will fit in the case.

When trying to install, I get a 'mv_install' FAILED.
Doing some research, it could have been the GPT partition table, so I removed that, and replaced with MBR. Also, all partitions were removed. The install still failed in the same way.

What should I do to prepare?
Do I need to setup the partitions manually? If so, how?

regards,
Mykola

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:37 pm 
Site Admin
My guess is that it's two fold.
1) a GPT Partition table was present (which you have removed)
2) MBR only supports up to two TB partitions. So I'm assuming it failed when it tried to create the data partition, which would have been larger then 2TB by default.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:50 pm 
Thanks jams,
That was my guess after a bit more thinking. I might try a large boot (1TB) or swap partition. Waste of space, but it should work???

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:37 pm 
Site Admin
That sounds like a waste of space, but it would work.
I suggest trying a normal install and then limiting the data partition to under 2TB. Then after the install, make another partition from the free space and use it as another data drive.
It's a bit more work but I think it's better then wasting 1TB to swap :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:12 pm 
Yes would agree for sure. Make two smaller partitions during the initial install then add an additional partition later

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:45 pm 
I didn't remember an option to limit the size of the data partition, but that would be the way to go.
Thanks for the heads up. Will try tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:26 pm 
mkyrylen wrote:
I might try a large boot (1TB) or swap partition. Waste of space, but it should work???

No no no. Does LH 7.4 support GPT partitions? I.e. does it use a patched grub or does it use grub2? If so then: I recommend that you, manually partition the 3 TB drive (GPT formatted) and use rsync to move over the LH partitions from your old drive. Adjust your /etc/fstab and install the boot loader on the large drive and you're done. I'm confused why the installer doesn't support GPT.

From memory, the recommended LH partition scheme is something like:

5 G /
250 MB /boot
rest of drive /myth

Am I correct? I would say, go for something like:
8 G /
(no real need for a separate /boot)
swap if needed
rest of drive /myth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:50 pm 
I limited the data partition to 1500MBytes, which was the maximum LH will allow, and the installation worked.
Unfortunately, the computer would not boot off that drive. BIOS said no OS detected. So need to fix that one up.

As a general point, is it better to rsync old drive to new drive then upgrade from 6.04 to 7.4, or do a fresh install and then move recordings and videos over?
My limited research seemed to imply the fresh install was the better way, but graysky's comments imply otherwise...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:00 pm 
mkyrylen wrote:
I limited the data partition to 1500MBytes, which was the maximum LH will allow, and the installation worked.

I don't understand. Why would you limit the data partition (/myth I assume) to 1.5 GB?

mkyrylen wrote:
Unfortunately, the computer would not boot off that drive. BIOS said no OS detected. So need to fix that one up.

Did you install the boot loader? Sounds like you did not. Is your drive still MBR or did you switch back to GPT?

mkyrylen wrote:
As a general point, is it better to rsync old drive to new drive then upgrade from 6.04 to 7.4, or do a fresh install and then move recordings and videos over? My limited research seemed to imply the fresh install was the better way, but graysky's comments imply otherwise...

LH has a pretty darn good backup/restore script for your db and key files all of which are stored under /myth if I remember right. In principal, you can do a fresh install on the 3TB disk and manually copy over the /myth from your old drive, then run the restore script. That said, it has been a LONG time since I used LH, so I don't know what the recommended procedure is to accomplish this. Maybe jams or someone else from the dev team can recommend.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:20 pm 
Quote:
Quote:

I don't understand. Why would you limit the data partition (/myth I assume) to 1.5 GB?

I generally try to stick to the standard install off CD, assuming it is the 'cleanest' way. The LH install CD would only permit 1500MBytes maximum. I would have gone for 2GBytes otherwise.
My guess is that GPT is not supported in 7.4, since it did not work initially. Not certain of this.

Quote:
mkyrylen wrote:

Did you install the boot loader? Sounds like you did not. Is your drive still MBR or did you switch back to GPT?

No, I did not install the bootloader, but I assume a fresh install off an installation CD would do all that??? My drive should still be MBR. I did not manually change back to GPT.

Quote:
mkyrylen wrote:
As a general point, is it better to rsync old drive to new drive then upgrade from 6.04 to 7.4, or do a fresh install and then move recordings and videos over? My limited research seemed to imply the fresh install was the better way, but graysky's comments imply otherwise...

LH has a pretty darn good backup/restore script for your db and key files all of which are stored under /myth if I remember right. In principal, you can do a fresh install on the 3TB disk and manually copy over the /myth from your old drive, then run the restore script. That said, it has been a LONG time since I used LH, so I don't know what the recommended procedure is to accomplish this. Maybe jams or someone else from the dev team can recommend.

Thanks, I will try it this way.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:34 pm 
mkyrylen wrote:
I generally try to stick to the standard install off CD, assuming it is the 'cleanest' way. The LH install CD would only permit 1500MBytes maximum. I would have gone for 2GBytes otherwise.
My guess is that GPT is not supported in 7.4, since it did not work initially. Not certain of this.

I agree that it is the cleanest method. I am still confused what partition you are attempting to make that is limited to a max of 1500 MB. Is it /myth?

EDIT: Do you mean 1500 GB not MB?

mkyrylen wrote:
No, I did not install the bootloader, but I assume a fresh install off an installation CD would do all that??? My drive should still be MBR. I did not manually change back to GPT.

If MBR has the limitation of no single partition >2 TB, then you do not want it. You'll need to wait for someone who knows about the GPT support in 7.4 to comment. I can't imagine that 7.4 does not support GPT since it has been around for a long time now and is the only option for >2TB partitions.

mkyrylen wrote:
Thanks, I will try it this way.

Hold on... you need to resolve your partition setup before doing anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:01 pm 
Yes, a typo. The /myth partition is limited to 1500GBytes. [too many long nights :oops: ]

OK, I can wait. Hopefully someone with GPT experience responds.

Agree, but good to plan ahead. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:18 am 
You out there, jams?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:37 pm 
Right now on 7.4 it's not possible to have a GPT disk as your boot drive. However, it is fine to use it for storage (think storage group). I used a different formatting tool called GPT fdisk to setup a 3TB partition. It is able to account for the GPT Partition type. In the future (ask Jams) it will be possible to format a GPT boot partition but some disk tools will need to change. One of the oddities when you have this kind of partition is bios also did not account for this change so the drive shows up at 800mb when booting but 3tb when the OS loads...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:07 pm 
RacerX wrote:
Right now on 7.4 it's not possible to have a GPT disk as your boot drive.

This should be fixed if true. What boot loader does LH use (name and version)?

Go to page 1, 2  Next