View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:44 pm 
I've been searching for a few days and can't find anyting on this problem. I upgraded my hardware by imaging my old slave backend to a new SSD, installed in my new system and then ran an upgrade install. My box has an nVidia card connected to an HD CRT tv via s-video cable. Everything worked great except I had maybe 15% overscan. The LINHES yellow/orange screen fit perfectly but MythTV had enough overscan that I couldn't see all the stuff on the menu. I went into display settings and changed from 1024x768 to a higher resolution which didn't work so I went to 640x480 with no luck. I then moved the screen settings (where you move the little corners to match the screen upper left and lower right corners. It was really close then but I was a little under so I went back in and moved it just a little more and now my Myth display is very small and in the upper right corner - maybe 25% of the screen. I've messed around changing it from 640x480 to 1024x768 and nothing seems to help. The yellow/orange LINHES screen is still centered perfectly. What have I screwed up? Sorry for the length... Help! Thanks, Joel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:25 pm 
If you go into that Screen Settings menu more than once it keeps chopping off. You have to get mythtv back to normal go back into Screen Settings with the overscan tools take them all the way out past where you can see and apply and hope that it fixes it. I've had this happen a couple of times and I have stopped using the tool. It's better to use the nvidia-settings. Open a terminal (alt x) and type nvidia settings and it will open a menu for you. One of the items is overscan correction.
The maximum resolution for the S-video standard is 720x480 (widescreen SD). Why aren't you using a dvi to HDMI cable? Why are you using S-video?
I hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:20 pm 
The tv doesn't have HDMI. I checked and I am actually using an s-video to composite adapter. I can't remember why I wasn't using the component imputs but I think it was because I could never get the colors right.
I moved the Myth angled adjusters back all the way out but it doesn't seem to have changed anything. Any other suggestions would be very welcome. My wife isn't happy about the current situation.
I'm sure if I had used nvidia-settings to begin with I wouldn't be in this situation. I just need to get back to where I was to use nvidia-settings to fix my overscan problem. Right now the nvidia-settings window runs off the screen in all directions and I have to move it around to see all of it. The overscan setting does what it should but only adjusts the LinHES yellow/orange screen. I need myth to fill the screen first.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:47 pm 
You might what to look at this

Quote:
MythTV Dimensions

From "mythfrontend" go to Setup->Appearance. The default for the height and width is "0" - this will cause MythTV to automatically size itself to full screen.

If the MythTV GUI width and height are not 0, mythfrontend uses these GUI dimensions and is anchored to the upper left corner of the X Desktop. If the GUI X and/or Y are not 0, the upper left corner is positioned at the specified coordinates. If the "Run the frontend in a window" box is checked, the window will have a frame and can then be dragged to any position on the desktop.

Make sure "Run the frontend in a window" is not checked.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:52 pm 
That's it!
Working great now. I'm not sure how those settings got changed. Maybe the Myth screen settings tool messes with them?
Thanks!
Joel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:13 pm 
I've had some weird problems with the screen wizard myself. Glad that fixed it.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:08 pm 
Yeah that might be one of those things that should have a warning label attached to it.