View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:50 pm 
I first tried to upgrade following the instructions from the Wiki but when I did the upgrade_linhes.sh not much happened.
So I reverted to my old upgrade path and fitted another hdd and proceeded to try a clean install of R8.1. First thing that happened was it got stuck on the setting modeline to 800x600 ..... A little reading and I find my 7100gs graphics card is now obsolete, no big deal just dropped the card out and used the onboard graphics and see how that goes.
Well it installed fine and I got to the Backend setup, went throughout the general settings and then tried to setup the TV cards and although it showed up the first Dvico card it would not accept it, as in it won't save the card. I have 2 dvico DVB-T cards that have been working fine for me since 2005 and now Linhes decides it doesn't want to know them?
Any tricks to getting the cards to save?
I will have another play this afternoon as it doesn't work very well without recording cards :cry:

Eddy

Seagate 500GB (Sata)
2x Dvico DVB-T Lite & Sony PlayTV (usb twin tuner)
TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCIe wifi card (not working)
Logitech Harmony One remote, CoolerMaster ATC-S case

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:45 pm 
Site Admin
What version are you upgrading from? R8.1 is an upgrade only from R8.0, any other version and it will not work. The face that you ran upgrade_linhes.sh makes me think it's older then R8

Regarding the dvico problem, sounds like your hitting a known mythtv bug that only affects some people. You could try retyping the entry that might help.
Also make sure you hit FINISH to actually save the settings.
If your old install is a mythtv .25 install you could try a clean install of R8.0 and then import the database (like the upgrade instructions state). Do not try importing the old database with R8.1 It's a different version of mythtv and has a higher potential for causing problems.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:40 pm 
I was attempting to upgrade from 6.03 to 6.04 then hoping to go higher but the upgrade just didn't happen. I have given up on this path as I got R8.0 installed.

Turns out the tuner cards were saved but it would not show then in the "capture cards" section of setup unless I used a right arrow key and then they would show but when I exited out of that screen and tried to do "input connections" I could not get that screen to open. I had a similar thing happen with the Capture cards and I would have to reboot and then restart the setup to get the capture cards pages to load, this sometimes took several attempts.
Out of frustration I tried a clean install of R8.0 and it worked straight up, took about 20 mins to get a working system, just some fine tuning to do … woohoo

So what is the difference between the R8.0 and 8.1 installers? The only thing I saw was the "Theme" was different, R8.0 had the usual Blue interface I am used to whereas R8.1 had a whacky grey interface. I recall Themes causes issues with display and keyboard/remote interaction with earlier versions in the Knoppmyth days. These are obviously issues with Mythtv.

If R8.0 proves to be stable over the next few days then I will do a clean install on another hdd and then attempt an upgrade to R8.1 and see how that runs. I am hoping to change the "Theme" to blues when it drops back to the Frontend when the setup fails. Any subsequent reboot should remain in the new theme and that may fix this???

Seagate 500GB (Sata)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:56 pm 
Site Admin
Based off the description it does sound like you hit the mythtv/QT setup bug. Not much can be done about that.

The one major difference between LinHES 8.0 and 8.1 is the mythtv version.
8.0 == mythtv .25
8.1 == mythtv .27

There is a theme change as you noticed. Themes formats changed alot between .25 and .27 and the old LinHES theme will not be coming back as a result. Alt themes to try would be mythcenter.
I'm unsure what problems your referring to with the theme, failing setup and gray screen.

For what it's worth, I think you made the right decision and didn't try to update from R6->R8. While it is possible it would have been really annoying and probably have some bumps along the way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:43 pm 
Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of some problems with the themes back with Knoppmyth versions R5 ish
So my thinking was perhaps there was a problem in the themes but the bug you speak of is more likely.

Once Christmas is out of the way I'll try the upgrade to R8.1

Seagate 500GB (Sata)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:54 pm 
Just an update.

Clean install of R8.0 onto another hdd, upgrade to R8.1, reboot and the database update thing.
Works well :D

Happy camper.

Seagate 500GB (Sata)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:37 pm 
another spam bot here is the original post viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23913