View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Thinking about a change
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:20 am 
I want to start out by thanking all of the unpaid and often unappreciated efforts of the people who have maintained KnoppMyth and LinHES over the years. You don't owe me anything, and I'm not trying to sound like I'm demanding your work.

My 2009 system is still chugging along, but as I'm upgrading other components I ran into a snag. My intention was to move the BE into a utility closet and run the FE with an NVIDIA Shield Pro. I intended to try the official-ish Android FE, which I loaded on the Shield. However, on first run it refused to start, giving me a message that my schema was 11 versions out of date and would therefore not be acceptable in the sight of the app. While I can use the MythTV add-on in Kodi, that's not as full featured and is fair on the WAF scale. These leaves me at a decision point. It seems my choices are to:

1) Wait for bfransen and any other active developers to bring LinHES more up-to-date. The current release is approaching its 2-year anniversary. While there have been a few posts hinting at behind-the-scenes work, it doesn't seem like I can bank on a forthcoming release.

2) Try to upgrade the myth components myself outside of pacman. These seems the most likely to fail. I'm pretty sure I tried it many years ago and managed to make the system worse than if I had directly set it on fire.

3) Backup, wipe the root partition, find another distro that's more current with MythTV, and import my recordings. I give this a better than average chance of working, but I hate to leave LinHES after all this time.

4) Lose all of my recordings and switch over to something like Channels DVR. Channels performs many of the same functions as MythTV with the added ability to use available streaming services from TV stations to record wanted programs at any time, not just when they are live on cable. The interface is slick compared to MythTV/MythWeb, and there are supported apps for Android and FireTV. If I have to leave LinHES, I'll probably leave Myth as well and start over with recordings. After all, it's only TV despite my sentimentality for some of the recorded programs we've kept over the years.

I'm leaning towards option 4, but if a new release or updates to the repositories are on the way, I'm willing to stick around awhile. Any ideas if something might be happening in the near future?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:29 am 
When my Intel Ion front ends started to die off, I replaced them with Raspberry Pi's (4 model b's) and am running them over wifi (5gig) and they work surprisingly well.

Quick and easy to setup following the directions on the mythtv.org site, granted you lose much of the LinHES web customization, but if you are just looking for a quick frontend, it's pretty simple.

On the channels side, how are you going to connect to your TV (Apple Tv, FireTV or ??).

Regards.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:25 pm 
My old Intel P4 front end was dying. I bought a cheap android TV box from Amazon for less than $40 and side loaded MythTV LeanFront . It worked straight away and works with any schema. Comes with a remote. Only 2 downsides is auto commercial skipping is not working (yet) and the theme is a little small. Other then that, I love it.
Links are as follows:
https://github.com/bennettpeter/android ... -Leanfront
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZS ... UTF8&psc=1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:14 pm 
bgrant3406 wrote:
On the channels side, how are you going to connect to your TV (Apple Tv, FireTV or ??).

Regards.

Right now I have a Toshiba FireTV and two Shield Pros for our TVs. Channels has apps for Android, including official FireTV which is sometimes different than Android, iOS, Windows, etc. I'll be loading the official Channels app to my devices if I go that route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:38 pm 
I've just discovered a new option I didn't realize I had. The Shield Pro comes with a "Live Channels" app that can use my current HD Homerun PRIME to view and record programs (recording will require an external drive, but I have one to use). It's not MythTV by any means, but it might pass the WAF test, especially if we can get the Shield's built-in voice search to approximate the functionality of the Xfinity X1 voice remote. I'm messing with it while I continue to evaluate options. I suppose I should give the LeanFront a look as well, though eventually I think I'd want the greater functionality of the full MythTV Frontend app.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:52 am 
DoomedTX wrote:
I've just discovered a new option I didn't realize I had. The Shield Pro comes with a "Live Channels" app that can use my current HD Homerun PRIME to view and record programs (recording will require an external drive, but I have one to use). It's not MythTV by any means, but it might pass the WAF test, especially if we can get the Shield's built-in voice search to approximate the functionality of the Xfinity X1 voice remote. I'm messing with it while I continue to evaluate options. I suppose I should give the LeanFront a look as well, though eventually I think I'd want the greater functionality of the full MythTV Frontend app.

The dev for LeanFront is very active and doing updates every couple days. He has added several features in the last month alone. I am hoping that comm skipping gets there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:40 pm 
DoomedTx thanks for the kind words and voicing your thoughts without demanding. It is much appreciated.

Here are a few comments as an update to where I am with LinHES that I hope will help you in your decision. There are 2 big things that have kept MythTV 31 from LinHES. The first is that mythinstall needs to be ported to MythUI and the second is that most of config scripts are python2 and needs to be converted to python3. Mythinstall is all the settings that setup the OS. I don't have time right now or in the foreseeable future to do this. So the questions you are asking I am asking for myself as a user.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:35 pm 
As it turns out, my 11-year-old hardware made the decision for me. Although the system kept running, there was a constant beep as if the memory were bad or the CPU were overheating. The thing is, memory and CPU temps were normal. I couldn't figure out which hardware was causing the sound, and the WAF was zero, so we're trying life without MythTV for awhile to see if we miss it. I've been using Myth off and on since 2004 and am sad to see it go. Good luck with the future. I might be back if we decide to get a new Myth box.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:53 am 
DoomedTX wrote:
As it turns out, my 11-year-old hardware made the decision for me. Although the system kept running, there was a constant beep as if the memory were bad or the CPU were overheating. The thing is, memory and CPU temps were normal. I couldn't figure out which hardware was causing the sound, and the WAF was zero, so we're trying life without MythTV for awhile to see if we miss it. I've been using Myth off and on since 2004 and am sad to see it go. Good luck with the future. I might be back if we decide to get a new Myth box.

I know this might sound silly, but with the age of your system, it might be the BIOS Battery.
I've seen it when the system will not startup, beep etc.

The nice thing, it's a small test to do, shutdown, unplug the AC power, pull the BIOS battery, either wait for several minutes maybe 5 - 10?
Then plug the PC back into the wall and power up, set the clock and time and any other custom settings, and see what happens.
If this is the problem, go out and buy a new battery.

Good Luck.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:59 am 
jniffen wrote:
I know this might sound silly, but with the age of your system, it might be the BIOS Battery.
I've seen it when the system will not startup, beep etc.

The nice thing, it's a small test to do, shutdown, unplug the AC power, pull the BIOS battery, either wait for several minutes maybe 5 - 10?
Then plug the PC back into the wall and power up, set the clock and time and any other custom settings, and see what happens.
If this is the problem, go out and buy a new battery.

Good Luck.

Thanks, that machine is already gone. I salvaged the SATA drives but donated the machine with the PATA drives. I hope someone else can make sense of it or at least salvage something useful. Channels has some surprising limitations, such as no automatic use of multiple hard drives, but overall it's a decent replacement for Myth. 2022 will be the first time in 18 years where I won't renew my Schedulesdirect subscription.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:41 pm 
DoomedTX wrote:
I'm leaning towards option 4, but if a new release or updates to the repositories are on the way, I'm willing to stick around awhile. Any ideas if something might be happening in the near future?

I went with option 3. :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:25 pm 
Unfortunately, I must also report that I have migrated to mythtv on xUbuntu.

I first started using linhes around 2005. It has been an integral part of my entertainment system since, and I do appreciate all of the work the devs have put into this project.

Crossing over to mythtv on xUbuntu reveals the enhancements linhes users take for granted as compared to straight ‘mythtv’. While I have a functioning system, I haven’t replicated all of the scripts and other automations that made life easier under linhs.

However, considering the older Nvidia drivers and the coming ATSC 3.0, I felt that I had to make the move.

Thanks to brfransen for keep linhes going over the years.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:05 pm 
welner wrote:

Thanks to brfransen for keep linhes going over the years.

Hear Hear !
Thanks Britney !