View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:05 am 
hi all,
i'm planning to set up a myth box and want to get an HD card before the broadcast flags go into play. i have no linux experence whatsoever.

from my understanding only two card will work with myth the HD3000 and the Air2PC, is that right? and the HD3000 is better supported? i'm leaning towards the Air2PC(any recomended vendors?) only because it has linux and win support and the more options the better imo. the HD3000 page says it has win driver but is not win supported, what does that mean? i'm confused.

any input is apreciated.

oh, the box i'm planning to use is a dell PowerEdge 400SC
P4 2.8, 1gig EEC DDR ram, radeon 9100 vid, dvd+r drive, 200gig hd

(is it hard to add another hd down the road? should i buy another now?)
(do i need a sound card?)

thanks john

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:09 am 
I can say that the HD3000 support in KnoppMyth R5 alpha is almost as no-brainy as setting up a PVR-x50. I moved my HD3000 to my master backend and it was a simple matter of setting up the new card and downloading the local digital channels.

There is an extremely-well-written "cookbook" on the Electronic Freedom Foundation's website for getting R5 alpha working with a HD3000.

http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/cookbook/

As for the other hardware questions, they're better answered by others, although the P4 2.8 and Radeon card might actually be at the lower end of hardware that'll allow for playback of HD recordings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:48 am 
thanks for the input ceenvee703

can anyone tell me if my specs are to low for HDTV? and do i need a sound card? or will onboard sound work?

any more input on the cards?

thanks and glad the board is back :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:05 am 
specs should be fine but you might find the hd space going fast, depends on your viewing/recording habits.

As for the cards it all depends on what you want and when. Right this second the pchdtv3000 is the easiest to setup in knoppmyth, but support for the air2pc should be coming before R5 is released. air2pc has QAM support right now for unencrypted hdtv over cable if your provider has this and you intend to use it could be a decision factor. pchdtv3000 id don't think has qam support yet, but they claim it's coming in a future driver release. though they just recently released a major new revision of their drivers I haven't looked at too closely it may include the qam support.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:51 pm 
thanks Xsecrets that gives me alot to think about. are you the same Xsecrets of xbox-scene fame?