View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:48 am 
Hi, I'm a newbie to Linux, TIVO, Myth, everything.. I hope I'm not posting to the wrong place but it seemed the most appropriate.

I am building a computer to be a media jukebox for the living room, playback movies from hard drive and dvd, mp4's, and other media formats. I'd also like to record tv for later playback so I can drop the more expensive digital cable options that I only use so that I can catch a show when I'm off work, and when the show is not on the analog station.

My question is can I use Myth and an HDTV tuner to record broadcasted HDTV signals and a regular tuner to record the cable stations and the shows I wanted. Will the use of HDTV source for recording pay off in the play back on a regular tv? My TV looks great when playing back DVD's but looks much "softer" and the images dimmer on analog inputs.

Will the HDTV signal give me a DVD quality playback, be it SVideo or component video, or will it be a just an expensive and complicated way of recording the same quality picture as I already get?

Will the HDTV also record in dolby surround so that my playback will have that advantage also?

Thanks guys, I hope I'm in the right place!

Allen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:59 am 
I record HDTV OTA and playback on a non HDTV. While it isn't HDTV quality (of course), it looks great and is better than the same show recorded on a PVR x50.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:18 am 
Are computer CRT monitors HD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:59 am 
Computer monitors can display HD resolutions (certainly the 720p ones, possibly even the 1080p ones), but unless you have a 16:9 monitor they'll look squashed. Don't know of many 16:9 CRT computer monitors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:02 am 
Actually, widescreen monitors are getting quite popular, judging from the shelves at Fry's. Even laptops are coming with big 15 and 17 inch widescreen displays these days. I'm not too sure what the attraction is, other than watching DVDs and HDTV. Surely not everyone is using them for this purpose, tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:50 am 
Widescreen LCDs, absolutely. Original question specifically mentioned CRTs though... and CRT monitors are a dying breed, let alone widescreen CRTs.

I've got Apple widescreen LCD monitors here at work, but for some reason they're 16:10, I think. Nice for more palette space, basically.