View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:23 pm 
Hey all.

Went to the Firewire Capture with Comcast Cable, and Had a number of problems with firewire working reliably. on my DCT-6200. Mainly... It would not. one out of every 4-5 tries would work. Viewing the logs would only yield a message:

Firewire: No Input in 15 seconds [P:0 N:1] (select)

and go back to the mythtv main menu. Channel Changing worked perfectly 100% of the time.

I tried a total of 4 diffrent Firewire cards (3 Via Based, 1 Texas instruments based) all with the same results.

After doing more searching I found a solution that so far is working for me. Broadcast mode + some plugctl comands.

Run these 2 commands (I think the 2nd one is the important one)
Asuming your CableBox is on Node 1

plugctl -n 1 opcr[0].channel=63
plugctl -n 1 opcr[0].bcast_connection=1

And in mythsetup change the Firewire Capture card setting "Firewire Connection Type" from Peer to Peer, to Broadcast.

The plugctl commands will have to be added into your startup somewhere. Since I have wierdness with which node the box comes up on after reboot, I run them manualy.

Hope this helps!

Geforce 6600GT AGP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:25 pm 
Note: I didn't put this in Problems/Solutions forums, as I don't think its a Knoppmyth problem, but a hardware one, bascily on luck of your setup/cable box.

Geforce 6600GT AGP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:05 am 
I've got the same problem with SA4200HD cable box. In order it to work
I have to restart the machine and then manually stop/start the backend.
I have VIA FW card. I may record one show before I get this timeout error again. It is just hit or miss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:57 pm 
You've SAVED ME! I've been trying to figure this out for weeks now. I would do something reboot and think that what I just did hosed my system. And then I would re-install KnoppMyth and get things working again. Your tip running plugctl did the trick.

This is bookmarked.

Do you have a tip of where I can post these commands during bootup? Maybe in /etc/init.d/myth-backend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:21 am 
executing
Code:
plugctl -n 1 opcr[0].channel=63
plugctl -n 1 opcr[0].bcast_connection=1

is ineffective for me, after running these commands, plug report still shows that channel and bcast_connection is still at 0.

On the other hand, i can change n_p2p_connections to watever number i like by
Code:
plugctl -n 1 opcr[0].n_p2p_connections=X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:48 am 
I am running R5A30.2 and it looks like this version automatically issues the reference plugctl commands. My experience is that sometimes things would boot-up and work fine, and at other times I would have to do multiple boots to get it to work. I did some more digging and found an archived email thread that talked about a problem that can occur where a register in the Motorola box gets set to a value that will prevent all future firewire connects. The poster, who seemed very knowledgable, stated that they only way to reset the register is through a power cycle. Here is the sequence I go through whenver I have the "no video in 15 seconds" problem -- so far it was worked every time:

1. shutdown the myth box ("shutdown -h" as root).

2. Turn off the Motorola box via the power button.

3. Unplug the power cord from the Motorola box for 30 seconds. (Probably don't need a full 30-seconds, but need enough time for power to "drain".)

4. Plug the power cord back in.

5. When you see the "-" on the front LCD, hit the power-on button of the Motorola box.

6. When you see a channel number dislayed on the front LCD, power up your myth box.

bkzshabbaz -- if you provide the output of running "plugreport", I will see if I can help you with the problem you are having.

Marc

Post subject: No Input in 15 Seconds
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:58 am 
I never had this problem until I took out my SoundBlaster Audigy with firewire and installed a new sound card and separate firewire card(NEC chipset).

So I think most of this has to do with the firewire chipset. I am also seeing this problem on my slave backend using onboard Nforce2 firewire(which I just started using)

When I was trying to run the plugtl commands and still having problems I noticed it was mainly with a particular channel Discovery HD.

Now I power everything off, turn on cable box, boot up myth box, backends are set NOT to run mythbackend on startup. I run my little scrpt containting the plugctl commands and run mythbackend.

Then I record some short SD channel to test and "get it going".

Seems to run fine after this until the next power cycle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:40 am 
Bringing an old thread back to life. I still see this problem on occasion. ie: When the master backend is restarted, sometimes recordings from firewire work fine. At other times, I am getting 0-length files. When this happens, the reset procedures posted here will get it to start recording again, althought the number of times I need to reset it can vary from 1 to 3. Once it starts recording, it will record all shows reliabily until the next time I restart the master back end. My PCI firewire card uses the TI chipset

Are others still having this problem? Has anyone found any other tricks for doing a more reliable reset?

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:58 am 
I seem to be having this problem a lot lately, like every other recording.

I am going to shut everything down(cable box and myth), switch the firewire ports and fire everything up again.

I had looked several months ago into this and I think there were some kernel patches posted in the ieee1394 forum but I didn't try them.

I will check what chipset i have and maybe try another firewire card.
Code:
FireWire (IEEE 1394): NEC Corporation uPD72874 IEEE1394 OHCI 1.1 3-port PHY-Link Ctrlr (rev 01)

Rich

marc.aronson wrote:
Bringing an old thread back to life. I still see this problem on occasion. ie: When the master backend is restarted, sometimes recordings from firewire work fine. At other times, I am getting 0-length files. When this happens, the reset procedures posted here will get it to start recording again, althought the number of times I need to reset it can vary from 1 to 3. Once it starts recording, it will record all shows reliabily until the next time I restart the master back end. My PCI firewire card uses the TI chipset

Are others still having this problem? Has anyone found any other tricks for doing a more reliable reset?

Marc
[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:52 pm 
I seem to have solved my problem -- posted in a separate thread over here http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12721