View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:20 pm 
This is a very long post which covers everything from pre through post install issues and fixups. Please scroll down and look at the bold headings to get a feel for what it covers... Thanks.

BEFORE you upgrade:
    - Make sure you have a good back up using the standard script - /usr/local/bin/mythbackup

- Manually back up all of /etc /root and /home - You're not going to restore from this archive, but it can be a life saver if you need a missing file. As root:
    Code:
    cd /
    tar jcvf /myth/backup/extras.tar.bz2 ./etc ./root ./home

This way if you suddenly discover that you need your old /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file you can retrieve it like this:
    Code:
    tar jxvf /myth/backup/extras.tar.bz2 ./etc/X11/XF86Config-4

- Make a list of any add ons you've installed or extra configuration you've done while you've still got the old install to refer to.

After the install (phase 1 - before entering the root password in the xterm on the desktop):
To do any of these taks you'll need to switch to an alternate virtual console using Ctrl-Alt-F1 and login as root.

- If you're using LVM with the standard volume group name of "vg" use the recreate_lvm.sh script to restore it. Otherwise you'll need to edit the script to use the "right" volume group name for you system.

- If X isn't working out of the box, recover your old working XF86Config-4.
    Code:
    cd /
    mv /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.orig.R5B7
    tar jxvf /myth/backup/extras.tar.bz2 ./etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    /etc/init.d/gdm restart

- If you're using certain wireless cards you may need to load the correct module at this point. Details provided by psicard in the first follow up message below...

- Do any other fixups that you need to have in place before the 2nd phase install/upgrade script runs.

After the install (phase 2):
    - See the CompileIvtv page on the wiki for steps to be done after upgrading to ivtv 0.4.3, the upgrade should do some of them for you (removing simple=1) but you may need to:

1) Get rid of thte ivtv entry in /etc/modules:
      Code:
      cd /etc
      mv -f modules modules.orig
      sed '/ivtv/d' <modules.orig >modules
      diff modules.orig modules

2) Run mythtv-setup. Under "Capture cards", clear all devices, and create them.

3) After you do this, don't forget to fix the "Input connections" .

4) You'll probably want to reboot so that these changes will take effect.

- Redo any add ons or extra configuration that you noted earlier. Check first to make sure that it hasn't already been added as a new standard feature. For example:

1) Restoring your NFS setup
      Code:
      cd /
      mv /etc/exports /etc/exports.orig.R5B7
      tar jxvf /myth/backup/extras.tar.bz2 ./etc/exports
      /etc/init.d/nfs-common start
      /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start
      update-rc.d nfs-common defaults
      update-rc.d nfs-kernel-server defaults

2) Restoring your webmin setup
      Code:
      cd /
      mv /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf.orig.R5B7
      tar jxvf /myth/backup/extras.tar.bz2 ./etc/webmin/miniserv.conf
      /usr/share/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin root YOURPASSWORDHERE
      /etc/init.d/webmin start
      update-rc.d webmin defaults

- If you suffer severely sluggish behaviour in your program guide or the MythWeb listings page, you may have a problem with your channel icons. Try the following steps courtesy of psicard and Xsecrets:
    Code:
    mythfilldatabase --reset-icon-map all
    perl mkiconmap.pl

See this thread for a more detailed discussion: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9057

- If you have a PVR-150 which is being misidentified as a PVR-250, upgrade your ivtv drivers to 0.4.4. See this page on the wiki for detailed instructions: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=CompileIvtv

- Be very careful about doing apt-get install to add extra packages. The dependency cascades are kind of bad at the moment and you could roach your system.

I'm sure that I'm forgetting several somethings. Call 'em out and I'll update this list.

Edited 3/19/2006 to add pointer to wireless LAN write up below.
Edited 3/20/2006 to add an intro so people don't think this is just preinstall.
Edited 3/20/2006 to add the channel icon fixes.
Edited 3/24/2006 to add the patch for some misidentified PVR-150 cards.
Edited 3/28/2006 to use the new ivtv for misidentified PVR-150 cards.

Last edited by tjc on Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: ndiswrapper
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:17 pm 
Here's what I did to restore ndiswrapper. This should be done at the After the install (phase 1 - before entering the root password in the xterm on the desktop) point descibed above.

Load the driver & ndiswrapper
Code:
ndiswrapper -i your_driver.inf
depmod -a
modprobe ndiswrapper

add ndiswrapper to /etc/modules

edit /etc/network/interfaces
- change all occurences of eth0 to wlan0
- add to iface wlan0 stanza
Code:
wireless-essid your_essid_name
wireless-mode Managed

(if you use encryption add)
wireless-keymode restricted
wireless-key1 XXXXXXXXXX
wireless-defaultkey 1

So, your /etc/network/interfaces file should look something like this (if you use a static IP address and not DHCP):
Code:
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo wlan0
iface lo inet loopback

iface wlan0 inet static
   address 192.168.1.11
   netmask 255.255.255.0
   gateway 192.168.1.1
   wireless-essid myessid
   wireless-mode Managed

Restart networking to use the new settings
Code:
/etc/init.d/networking stop
/etc/init.d/networking start

Last edited by psicard on Fri May 26, 2006 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:17 pm 
The irblaster script is still busted. It doesn't assign an additional lirc device (in /etc/irblaster/hardware.conf) so if you've already got a lirc device it'll fail from the start. Even after assigning the lirc1 in hardware.conf it doesn't work.

I'm leaning towards asking Cecil to remove it from future releases until it gets more robust and flexible (not to mention 'working').

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:57 pm 
It works fine for me. We need someone with the hardware that causes it to fail to have a go at getting it working. It shouldn't be that hard really. I had an initial stab at the script and cesman included the question during the install. That would seem to me to be a good incentive for a clueful person with a configuration where it doesnt work to iron out the edges and improve it for everyone. Youve gotta start somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:34 pm 
Quote:
- Be very careful about doing apt-get install to add extra packages. The dependency cascades are kind of bad at the moment and you could roach your system.

I used apt-get to install apcupsd and apcupsd-cgi without any apparent problems.

I would also like to thank everyone for such a well tested system - I upgraded both my machines without any issues. Of course, tjc's installation notes helped a bunch - they answered all the questions I needed to ask.

Thanks again to all involved with this release!

Allan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:05 am 
Re: apt-get. Rather than screwing something up by apt-getting apcupsd, I recompiled it from source.

There have been a few posts concerning the new version of MythWeb not working with Internet Explorer. Quick workaround is to use a different web browser. This mythtv-user thread discusses the problem:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/m ... ers/189498

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:58 pm 
On my system, searching IMDB for a video file was working, but it was not pulling down the movie poster. It appears that some of the permissions in /home/mythtv/.mythtv were incorrect showing root as the owner. My problem was resolved by issuing the following commands as root:

cd /home/mythtv/.mythtv
chown -R mythtv:mythtv *

These incorrect permissions may be effecting other things also.

Edit: Changed chmod to chown.

Last edited by aelinuxguy on Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:25 pm 
Thank you so much for putting this together. After I upgaded my PVR 500 was having problems loading firmware, this cleared the issue right up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:33 pm 
Well hopefully people find this before they upgrade, since that provides the most value... :( I've been posting links to it all over the fourms since the day after R5B7 was announced, Cecil even made it sticky, and too many people still don't find it. :?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:25 pm 
tjc wrote:
- If you suffer severely sluggish behaviour in your program guide or the MythWeb listings page, you may have a problem with your channel icons. Try the following steps courtesy of psicard and Xsecrets:
Code:
mythfilldatabase --reset-icon-map all
perl mkiconmap.pl

See this thread for a more detailed discussion: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9057

Hello,
I upgraded from R5A30.2 to R5B7 a few days ago. I ran these instructions to fix channel icons today and I think things worked, but here are the questions that were running through my mind. If these are pertinent, you could add them in to clarify the instructions just a little more:

1. Should I login as "root" or "mythtv" when I run a mythfilldatabase operation? Does it matter? I wonder if you could tell me a basic schema on which operations should use "root" and which should use "mythtv"?

2. Should I shutdown mythbackend first before running a mythfilldatabase operation (I use ALT-2 to shutdown mythbackend), or should I leave it running? It seems to have an error about not finding the backend, but then it says it will fill in the info later.

3. When I ran "perl mkiconmap.pl" it said the file could not be found. I did "locate mkconmap.pl" to find the file, then I ran "perl /usr/bin/mkiconmap.pl" and it worked fine. Is my R5B7 path correct? If yes, then you could consider editing the instructions, just to make it extra crystal clear for dummies like me!

Thanks, bye.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:42 pm 
crushinator wrote:
1. Should I login as "root" or "mythtv" when I run a mythfilldatabase operation? Does it matter? I wonder if you could tell me a basic schema on which operations should use "root" and which should use "mythtv"?

You should always run mythfilldatabase as the mythtv user. If necessary you can use su to accomplish this:
Code:
su - mythtv "mythfilldatabase --quiet"

crushinator wrote:
2. Should I shutdown mythbackend first before running a mythfilldatabase operation (I use ALT-2 to shutdown mythbackend), or should I leave it running? It seems to have an error about not finding the backend, but then it says it will fill in the info later.

No need to stop the backend. If it's running it will use the --resched (reschedule) option to update the recording plan.

crushinator wrote:
3. When I ran "perl mkiconmap.pl" it said the file could not be found. I did "locate mkconmap.pl" to find the file, then I ran "perl /usr/bin/mkiconmap.pl" and it worked fine. Is my R5B7 path correct? If yes, then you could consider editing the instructions, just to make it extra crystal clear for dummies like me!

The script is actually marked executable and contains the proper #! magic, so there is no need to execute perl explicitly. You should just be able to say:
Code:
mkiconmap.pl