View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:26 pm 
Okay, I ran the script [the R5Beta7-pvr350.pl] & expected output on my s-video; it didn't happen after a reboot; I still had video on my monitor.
Well, I happened to see this http://www.imakeprojects.com/projects/mythtv
so followed the instructions regarding going into TV Settings > Playback, and
checked the little box stating use the 350's TV out & the sound out too. Worked great after that. Strange thing is, output is coming off of the A/V connector.
I guess whatever works :).....
Thanks for the work on the script. Probably most users would have known to change the TV Settings; I just didn't think of it, but I had read the "HowTo" above, and remembered that from that.
Neat thing is, I can uncheck the box "Use the PVR-350's....", and I'm back to watching TV on the monitor.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:03 am 
mal1ch1 wrote:
Okay, I ran the script [the R5Beta7-pvr350.pl] & expected output on my s-video; it didn't happen after a reboot; I still had video on my monitor.
Well, I happened to see this http://www.imakeprojects.com/projects/mythtv
so followed the instructions regarding going into TV Settings > Playback, and
checked the little box stating use the 350's TV out & the sound out too. Worked great after that. Strange thing is, output is coming off of the A/V connector.

Output is comming off the A/V connector? Do you mean the pigtail of connectors that you plug into the pvr-350? Where else would the output be comming from? That is the only output(s) the pvr-350 has.
Quote:
I guess whatever works :).....
Thanks for the work on the script. Probably most users would have known to change the TV Settings; I just didn't think of it, but I had read the "HowTo" above, and remembered that from that.
Neat thing is, I can uncheck the box "Use the PVR-350's....", and I'm back to watching TV on the monitor.

There are two different things you are trying to set up with the pvr-350:
1) Display the X server (and mythtv) on the pvr-350's framebuffer.
2) Use the pvr-350's hardware decoder to playback recordings.

The perl script only addresses the first item. And the setup menu "use the PVR-350's. . ." check box only addresses the second item.

Do you have mythfrontend displayed on your TV or on the monitor? The checkbox has nothing to do with that.

Post subject: Okay
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:32 am 
I guess I read too much, I thought I had read something about video out on the s-video, but obviously, that's an input.
I have nothing but a backend at the time with only the 350. 'Have a 500 I'm going to install later, but I'm trying to get up to speed with the software.
BTW, in those instructions you wrote about modifying the XF86Config-4, I must have missed something or gotten lost; you state copy the sample file to
XF86Config-4.pvr350 if I'm not mistaken; then right after that, you do a comparison of the file you just copied with the file you copied from ? And I never could find that statement about "invtv-osd....". 'Just not there.
Thanks again for the script & help. I'm sure I somehow got lost on the above
mod.

Post subject: Re: Okay
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:38 pm 
mal1ch1 wrote:
I guess I read too much, I thought I had read something about video out on the s-video, but obviously, that's an input.

The pvr-350 has two s-video ports. One is input the other is output. The output port is part of the pigtail that is plugged into the back of the pvr-350 and hangs off the card.

The R5Beta7-pvr350.pl script is suppost to edit the XF86Config-4 file for you. If you run the script there is no reason for you to be editing the XF86Config-4 file directly.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:09 pm 
I ran the script with only the PVR-350 and things went well; now that I have the PVR-500 installed also, things didn't go so well. On the second reboot, the system hangs at one of the screens where info on the cards is displayed.
Will this script run okay with the 500 installed too, or did I just make some other error or something else happened.
Thanks.

Post subject: Again..
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:50 pm 
'Did a new install, it did the exact same thing on the second reboot.
'Will have to play with this some to see what's causing the problem.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:19 pm 
I think that says it all. I'll watch TV on a monitor until I find out how to get this thing to work properly.
I think I was courteous and responsive to anyone asking for info; I'm sure many people get a real kick out of seeing someone struggle with something that they know like the back of their hand, but I'm not really laughing.

Post subject: Idiotic Script Error
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:42 pm 
Well, guru, take a look at your R5Alpa30.2-pvr350.pl script; it references things that don't exist :)!
Many thanks for the Linux lessons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:17 am 
The script works best when you have a fresh install of the distro with no modifications. I think someplace in the disclaimer text or in the initial post here it says that. I only have 1 pvr-350 card and this is all I could personlly test with.

If you take a knoppmyth r5b7 fresh install with a pvr-350 card and follow the directions it should work right out of the box. The procedure includes running the script twice with the -i option, with a reboot in between.

Everything else is done for you, including updating the mythconverg database. I think I also mentioned that I assume you use the default mysql userid/passwords as the script assumes this and does not ask if you have changed it.

Yes, it's not the most flexible script in the world, so you have to be careful and make sure you don't diverge too much from what I expect. Once you have it working, you can then put in all the custom modifications you need if your setup includes other hardware.

Post subject: Check Logs....
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:34 am 
I'm still working on it with both the 350 & 500 cards installed. No changes in the installation, everything is default [or my fault, I don't know which :)].
I can still get the file systems mounted with the -b option, so I'm going to take a look at the logs on the latest failed attempt at using the script.
BTW, what is that R5Beta script ? Should that be used ? Probably a stupid question, but, nothing else seems to be working.
Will post whatever I find from the logs.
Thanks again.

Post subject: Log Info
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:33 am 
Okay, the XFree86.0.log states at the end "LoadModule ivtv / Warning, couldn't open module ivtv / Unload module ivtv (module does not exist, 0) /
Primary Device is: PCI 03:00:0 / No devices detected / Fatal server error: no screens found

Then from the daemon log at approximately the same time last night, this line appears: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting : 0 /
deal_with_x_crashes: Running the XKeepsCrashing script [last line]

From dmesg: VFS: mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
Trying to move old root to /initrd..... <6>kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 okay [this is obviously from just booting in "emergecy mode"]

From kern.log: Okay, here's where it's crashing, I think, 'can't type it all, but here's what looks pertinent:
The 350 is detected and everything looks like it's set, then the 500 [2 150's] are configured & at the end of both INIT IVTV's the line states tuner 4-0061: tuner type not set, but it is initialized; then, at the END INIT IVTV, I see a lot of this info on the screen when the system hangs:
mythtv kernel: ivtv0-osd: Framebuffer module loaded (attached to ivtv card id 0)
: screen cords: [0,0] > [720,480]
: original global alpha = 208
: current OSD state = 39
: new global alpha = 208 [1 255 0]

: warning: ivtvfb_set_par
Then, at the very end of the log,
: ivtv0-osd warning: ivtvfb_check_var
: ivtvfb_set_par
and this keeps repeating for several lines.

From messages, at the end of the log:
mythtv pci.rc [3715]: ignoring pci display device on 03:00.0
then several lines of: ivtv0-osd warning: ivtvfb_chech var
ivtv0-osd warning: ivtvfb_set_par

Anyway, the file system is is read-only mode, so I can't change anything or run the script with a -r.
Any comments or help appreciated.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:59 pm 
I think the big problem here is that the pvr-350 script I put together assumes a single pvr-350 card is installed. Since I only own this card, I can't test the script with multiple pvr cards.

The best I can recommend is to setup your system with a default load of knoppmyth with only the pvr-350 card, use the script, and hopefully you will get the output from the pvr-350.

With that done and working, you will then need to figure out what to do in order to add the pvr-500. This is where you will need to do research and see if anybody else has done it. Googling for ivtv and possibly pvr-500 may help.

I'm not an expert on this by far...I just know enough to automate a few things that others have posted to help make it easier. There are quite a few people who follow the ivtv developer lists that know much more than I can hope to about how all the pieces fit together. I got as far as simplifying something that gave me problems and found that many others found it useful. Unfortunately, it's rather focused on making a specific hardware combo work - a knoppmyth default install and a single pvr-350 card.

Post subject: Re: Check Logs....
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:36 am 
mal1ch1 wrote:
I'm still working on it with both the 350 & 500 cards installed. No changes in the installation, everything is default [or my fault, I don't know which :)].
I can still get the file systems mounted with the -b option, so I'm going to take a look at the logs on the latest failed attempt at using the script.
BTW, what is that R5Beta script ? Should that be used ? Probably a stupid question, but, nothing else seems to be working.
Will post whatever I find from the logs.
Thanks

I have setup 2 systems with the PVR-350 and PVR-500 and using SnapperDragons script. Here are the steps I recommend.

(1) Install only the PVR-350 and leave the PVR-500 out of the computer case.

(2) Install KnoppMyth and configure the backend (General, New Capture Card and Input Connections)

(3) Download and install SnapperDragon script and get video out to the TV.

(4) Update ivtv driver to 0.4.4 (see KnoppMythWiki CompileIvtv

(4a) Download and unpack the new driver code, make any patches, then build and install the module (For example this thread http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=58766 contains details on a patch to fix color saturation issues with the PVR-150 and PVR-500):
Quote:
wget http://dl.ivtvdriver.org/ivtv/archive/0 ... 4.4.tar.gz
tar zxvf ivtv-0.4.4.tar.gz
cd ivtv-0.4.4/
# This is where you would make any needed patches to the driver code!
make
make install

(4b) The driver installs a new tuner.ko, tda9887.ko and tveeprom.ko in /lib/modules/2.6.15-chw-2/ivtv. Rename the original versions to avoid conflict (Please note that this may cause other issues if you also have an HDTV card):

Quote:
cd /lib/modules/2.6.15-chw-2/kernel/drivers/media/video
mv tveeprom.ko tveeprom.ko.orig
mv tuner.ko tuner.ko.orig
mv tda9887.ko tda9887.ko.orig

Note: From my experience, updating ivtv to 0.4.4 is highly recommended and not really optional. Without 0.4.4, I have seen systems with PVR-150 and 500s either not work or result in a black screen that requires a system reinstall.

(5) Physically install PVR-500 and bootup

(6) Backend Configuration utility will appear automagically. Configure (New Capture Card) the 2 new tuners (video1 and video2) using the only tuner option called 'tuner'.

(7) Exit out of the backend and start the frontend.

All 3 tuners should work now.

Dr. Hood

CPU: AMD Sempron 3000+ (1.8 Ghz)
RAM: 1024 Mb
Videocard: Radeon 9500 (64 Mb)
TV Tuner Card: PVR-350
Harddisk: WD160 Gb + Max 300 Gb

Post subject: r5c7
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:51 pm 
Does anyone know what the status is for an update for R5C7? I read elsewhere that a working hauppage script is in the installation. Is this true? I don't want to upgrade if I don't know if I will be able to properly configure my system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:34 pm 
I should unsticky this... R5C7 has it's own script to get the 350's TV out working. Folks have reported success!

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next