View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: A Million Hints & Tips
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:35 am 
You know, many members here have really helped a great deal and I appreciate that very much.
There are just so many things that can go wrong with the collection of software and hardware that KnoppMyth uses that I'd like to suggest an error wiki or forum.
I didn't know a thing about setup stopping and receiving an error at "line 10000" or whatever the exact message is; I used Spinrite on my HD, checked all my hardware, memory, etc...., thought I was losing it.
Also, I've never seen anywhere how to set up X for a PVR-350 AND 500; there's a little more to it than just setting up the 350; checking my X log I was getting the message that there were 2 devices at 2:8 & 2:9 without device sections, and I was wondering why when I recorded things I just got a screen of nothing when I played it back. 'Fixed that one, but there are just so many things, and so much info to read. I'm gradually becoming a SQL junkie too, as I know how to at least get around in it and perform most operations.
Linux is nice, but I've got a ways to go before I'll have anywhere near the knowledge I have of Windoze.
Thanks again to all those who have helped with so many problems.
My Hint or Tip: Search, search, search, ask questions, and don't give up !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:35 pm 
Hi mal1ch1,

Are you up and running now?

Mike

Post subject: Kinda'.....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:53 am 
Yes, I'm up and running, but I'm having a problem with my PVR-500. I get
a great picture from the PVR-350, but when I record something and it's tuner is being used, I get a very poor picture from both outputs of the PVR-500, not completely unviewable (is that a word ?), but just kinda' shaky with snow all across the screen.
Man, I ran into a problem with the ivtv file when I modified it and made a mistake in the syntax ! KnoppMyth would boot, but when it hit that file it just sat there giving an error message about it, over and over and over. I was lucky enough to be about to mount the drive rw & fix it, but not a great experience at all.
Actually, I didn't make a syntax error, I got the info off Jarod's site, but I must have misinterpreted exactly what he was trying to do. He had changed the alias major (2nd line) to 81-0, and a few other things. Anyway, my setup didn't like it.
Main problem is improving the picture from the PVR-500 right now.
And yes, I did set up my recording profiles.
There's a lot I still don't know, but there's a lot I do know now. It's amazing how much time one can put into a project such as this, but just as with SmoothWall, I'm learning a lot, so I'll be able to switch over to Linux exclusively soon. I downloaded Windoze Vista and gave it a spin and it really did find all my hardware and seemed to work okay, but, Microsoft is just going to get more restrictive, IMHO, so I'm switching soon. Keeping all of my old hardware and software too.
Thanks for all your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:40 am 
Hi mal1ch1,

The 500 card quality issues are a whole 'nother topic, maybe try a hardware specific post with all the grooosome details. Check the wiki first, do some forum searching in case it may have been touched upon before.

As an alternative you might want to give Ubuntu a test drive, (available as a live cd ) I run Edubuntu for my kids and they love it. On my main box I have dual boot with Edubuntu & KM with default boot up as KM. Nice about the setup is that I can access all files accross the whole drive as both are Debian. I play the same music file in either Ed or KM.

The more you use KM and look around under the hood, the more friendly it becomes. Glad to hear all is basicly running ok.

Have a great day, and good luck with the 500 card.
Mike

Post subject: May Give It a Spin
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:02 am 
Thanks mjl. 'Hope you didn't get flooded out last week from all that recent rain !
I may give it a try, I have the iso burned already, just not enough hours.....
I've been concentrating on MythTV too much, but I think I told you that someone said they had obtained the data sheets for the PVR-500 and were coming up with a "fix" (I really hope so). If that doesn't work, I may go with
a couple more 350's or 250's, not sure. The 500 problem seems to be pretty universal, but I don't want to give up on it just yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:21 pm 
Hi mal1ch1,

I don't have any experience with a 500, yet, so we will be looking for your input. There has been some comments about the forum hinting the quality isn't quite as good as 250/350 however again, I have no experience in that area. I am confident the various team folks will have any of those small flaws tweaked out in the near future.

It just makes a great package that much better.

Best of luck :)
Mike