View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:32 pm 
What the&#%? Turion 64? Dude, stop smoking crack!

Oh, I hear you, laughing hysterically. But wait. You'll be in for a surprise.

So let's start with the basics:

# Video type: SDTV
# Type of system: combined front- and back-end
# Noise level: Noise? What's that?

# CASE: NZXT Duet
# PSU: 480W Thermaltake Silent PurePower
# MOTHERBOARD: MSI K8N Neo3-F
# CPU: AMD Turion MT-37 Socket 754 (2.0Ghz, 1Mb)
# RAM: Samsung 512M PC-3200
# CPU HEATSINK: MSI Mobile Pad + 754 Heatsink alone.
# NORTHBRIDGE HEATSINK: PASSIVE
# CD/DVD-RW: LG H42N DVD-RW 18X
# HDD: WDC 250G SATA300, 16MB, 7200 RPM
# GRAPHICS CARD: MSI 6200TC 128M PCI-E
# SOUNDCARD: Integrated Realtek ALC655 HD 6.1
# TUNER CARD: HAUPPAGE WINTV PVR-150 MCE (without IR control)
# REMOTE CONTROL: Sapphire Remote Control Bob (ATI USB RF)

Ok, so I tought this was a pretty good-looking case (for the price): The NZXT Duet. http://www.nzxt.com/products/duet/ But to my surprise, it's also damn silent!

Next to the PSU. Everyone knows Thermaltake. 480W is probably a bit overkill for my system, but I just wanted a silent power supply, and I already got this one.

I recycled the motherboard and memory from a desktop I had. What's special about this board is that it has a socket 754. I know, old stuff... but wait! there's a good side! You can actually put a TURION on this thing!

So in case you have no clue what a Turion is, it's the mobile division of CPUs from AMD. It uses the same logics as the Athlon 64, but its circuits are designed to dissipate WAY WAY ( did I say way?) much less heat. They are also obviously less power-hungry, wattage-wise. For example, my MT-37 is rated for 25W TDP! LOL! Compare that to my hungry Athlon 3200+, which eats 89W! Ouch.

There are some gotchas, though. The Turion is built without a heat spreader, which means it's also thinner (it looks like an Athlon XP) compared to the Semprons and Athlons. So you either have to:

A) hack a custom heatsink to fit on it,
B) use a heatsink that fixes with screws so you can adjust the pressure (without breaking the core! eeek!!)
C) Find a "MSI Mobile Pad" and buy it.

Great, now if you've been reading my intro, you know I picked the Mobile Pad. Essentially, it's a thermal pad / heat spreader for Turions, what his AMD siblings have. You can see it in action here: http://www.msicomputer.com/msiforms2/turion64.asp

What did I put on top of it? A simple copper heatsink without a fan I had lying around. It's small, efficient, and also totally silent (Duh?)

Since the CPU is near the back of the case, where lies the exaust fans, the CPU rarely goes over 35-40C degrees. Heck, that thing is made for laptops... no wonder. Also, the fact that it supports C'n'Q (Cool'n'Quiet) adds to the "coolness" factor. when idle, the CPU runs @ 800Mhz... woot!

And that's about it. It's not perfect... since the case is a bit too deep for my taste, but I think it's the best setup I've come with so far. And since almost everything is passively cooled (exept the PSU, which I don't hear anyway), this makes for an awesome silent Myth Box!

Total cost: ~500 bucks.

Next step: build a separate linux NAS with a RAID-5 array! (Arghh, the wife has almost filled the Mythbox already!!)

Salut!

PS : Info about Turions on 754 boards: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article300-page1.html

And Oh! Wait! Here's a deal you can't miss if you want to dig into Turions on desktops:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103521

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:23 pm 
I may just take this idea and run with it... my duron 950 is a bit loud and under powered

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813130058
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103521

I have the rest, but would like to find a nicer desktop micro-atx media case... maybe this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811204004

1TB WD Green Hdd
Hauppauge PVR-350 (tv-out)
SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime
16X memorex DVD drive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:00 am 
Hehe, as you can see I don't post here very often... :P

Great looking case, and I think you won't be disapointed by your Turion system :)

Post subject: Sapphire Remote
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:49 am 
I hear you with the Turion, I have just put together a system very similar to what you prescribe and I am very happy with it, except for the remote control. I am using an ASUS K8V-MX motherboard which has ample usb ports and no onboard serial, so I opted for a tira ir reciever. I am having much difficulty setting it up.... Looking at your specs, you are using a Sapphire Remote, how hard was that to set up? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:33 pm 
To be honest, this remote feels like crap. VERY unresponsive.

It does an OKAY job, but I'm tempted to switch real soon.

On the plus side, it's really plug-and-play.

Connect the dongle on USB, reboot, mythtv sets it up. That's as easy as it goes.

Post subject: How to get Turion CPU?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:25 pm 
Hi,
Your thread is very interesting.
In fact has anyone done a power consumption between the Turion CPU and the latest Athlon X2 45W CPUs?

I'm planning to build a diskless/fanless KnoppMyth FE system, and still deciding on components.

The thing is, all my suppliers only supply desktop CPUs, where do you get your hands on a Turion?

I'm in Sydney Australia so maybe only desktop CPUs are imported for retail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:22 pm 
So I'm gunna ask a dumb question (sorry). Where can I find a
Quote:
What did I put on top of it? A simple copper heatsink without a fan I had lying around.
I mean, where do I get one that's the right size and stay on the cpu (I.E. clamp down)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:46 pm 
gymim wrote:
So I'm gunna ask a dumb question (sorry). Where can I find a
Quote:
What did I put on top of it? A simple copper heatsink without a fan I had lying around.
I mean, where do I get one that's the right size and stay on the cpu (I.E. clamp down)?

Hi gymim,
You should be able to get CPU heatsinks from any computer shop, if they don't have it they can probably order it in from their suppliers.
What you will need to know is your CPU socket type.

e.g. Intel CPUs are usually LGA775 sockets, while late model AMD CPUs use the AM2 socket.

You will want to be sure that it will fit in your case, and that it's quiet during operation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:09 am 
How can I go about enabling Cool'n'Quiet?

I just swapped out my old NForce2 board with an Athlon XP 3000+ (which ran at a blistering 45 to 50C -- oUCH!), with my old desktop motherboard (NForce4, with an Athlon64 2800+, which runs at a nice 40C).

However, I'd also like to take advantage of Cool'n'Quiet, to drop the temps even more when the system isnt doing much of anything.

Thanks...
--E