View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:37 am 
# Video type: SDTV
# Type of system: combined front- and back-end
# Noise level: fairly quiet, but still vibration from PSU. Needs tweaking.
# CASE: Thermaltake Mozart ATX 2x5.25
# PSU: Spire Rocketeer II 400W
# MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M2NPV-VM with nVidia GeForce 6150 (TV out, HDTV out), Sound, etc...
# CPU: AMD DualCore 64 4200+ 2.2 GHz
# RAM: Apacer DDR2 1GB
# CPU HEATSINK: Arctic Silent Freezer 64 Pro
# NORTHBRIDGE HEATSINK: none
# CD/DVD-RW: Liteon DVD+/- ReWriter 20A1H
# HDD: Western Digital WD3200 SYS 320GB
# GRAPHICS CARD: onboard nVidia GeForce 6150
# SOUNDCARD: onboard Intel
# TUNER CARD: WinPVR Express / PVR 350
# REMOTE CONTROL: Hauppauge Gray

This system is very nice performance-wise so far. I would like it to be quieter, though. I will do some tweaking with fans, using the provided CPU-controlled case fan connectors.
Hard disk could be quieter, but it's ok.
(I originally stated the DVD was loud, was it's actually only loud when moving files, for example during an install... when dealing with DVDs or CDs, it's actually nearly silent)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:00 am 
Hi - how is the motherboard connected to your TV? VGA, DVI, S-Video, Component?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:32 pm 
hi, guys.

I am having a real hard time deciding if i should buy the Asus M2NPV-VM, seams like allot of people are having trouble getting it running perfectly.

From the first time I saw it in a shop I wanted to use it as my HTPC/PVR, the real thing about this board is pop in a cpu add ram a drive or 2 And a haupage pvr card and your, set or thats what I thought!?!

My Planned setup is as follows:

Asus M2A-VM HDMi
AMD Athlon 3000+ AM2
Haupage pvr-150 MCE
1gig kingston value ram
2 X 250 GB seagate hdd (Digital video edd)
D-link DWL G550 AirPremierAG WLan usb
LG GSA-H55N , 20x DVD super multi

It would function as a NAS and frontend + backend. any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:36 pm 
QMAX wrote:
hi, guys.

I am having a real hard time deciding if i should buy the Asus M2NPV-VM, seams like allot of people are having trouble getting it running perfectly.
Hmmm, I have 2 of these boards as frontends, no problem with either. What type(s) of problems were you reading/hearing about? A number of folks on these forums use this board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:00 pm 
Well, mostly the sound and SATA boot support. But I think the stuff I read was a bit outdated...

But I've ordered the board now :) so lets hope for the best! Hopefully I will be posting how good the board works and how nice my setup is and not complaining about how much I am struggling!

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by QMAX on Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:09 pm 
I too have 2 of these boards running knoppmyth R5F1 have no issues with front or backend. everything works smooth as can be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:13 pm 
I built a system a few weeks ago and have had no problems with a SATA DVD drive, SATA HD, or memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:46 am 
Ditto. This is a great motherboard. I recommend to others looking to build an HTPC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:30 am 
I just built a similar system to replace my original KnoppMyth box which was dying after about 3 years of use.

# Video type: SDTV
# Type of system: combined front- and back-end
# Noise level: I can barely hear it from 5 feet away
# CASE: ANTEC New Solution Series NSK2480
# PSU: included ANTEC 80 PLUS® Certified EarthWatts 380 Watt ATX12Vv2.2 power supply with universal input and Active PFC
# MOTHERBOARD: Asus M2NPV-VM
# CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ Socket AM2 Retail (45W)
# RAM:Corsair TWIN2X1024-6400C4 1GB Kit DDR2-800
# CPU HEATSINK: Stock AMD
# NORTHBRIDGE HEATSINK: Stock MB
# CD/DVD-RW: NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Silver IDE Model ND-3540A
# HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB Serial ATA 7200RPM
# GRAPHICS CARD: onboard nVidia GeForce 6150
# SOUNDCARD: onboard
# TUNER CARD: 2x PVR 250, HD Homerun
# REMOTE CONTROL: Haupage IR receiver with RS remote

I'm outputting to a 10+ year old Sony 32" CRT using SVIDEO.

I did a clean install of R5F27 and it detected everything (including the HD Homerun on the network) automatically. I initially did the setup with a VGA monitor, so I had to go back and copy the sample tv-out xorg.cof file when I hooked it up to the TV, but there were no issues with getting the tv out working after that.

The only major issue I had was with the PVR IR receiver driver conflicting with another driver (I found this from another post here).

The PVRs have been my workhorse tuners, but with this new system I can use the HD Homerun to get OTA HD signals and display them without any problems. (I haven't tried QAM signals because my cable provider encrypts pretty much everything except the OTA channels). From my viewing position of about 8ft away, the HD video looks like it's on a HD set. I'm very happy with this.

I'm waiting on the SPDIF module for the motherboard, so I'm using the analog audio without any problems.

As far as noise from the case is concerned, the only thing that seems to make any noise is the stock CPU fan, but from a few feet away it's not noticeable in my environment. I like this case, it has two huge fans on the side that seem to do a good job of pulling heat out of the case, and the Hard Drives are mounted on silicon grommets which isolate any vibration.

The only downside to this case is it's mATX only, and doesn't have many extra slot openings on the back for extra brackets like the tv-out and SPDIF brackets.

The motherboard seems fine, my only complaint is that it doesn't have a serial port connection on the back -- only headers on the board. I had to buy a serial port bracket (~$4). Also, It's only got 2 regular PCI slots, so with my 2 PVR-250's it's maxed out.

Next up is convincing the wife to let me upgrade the TV...

Post subject: problems with M2NPV-VM
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:10 pm 
Lost my previous motherboard last week and decided to replace it with the M2NPV-VM. I was disappointed that it didn't come with spdif connectors. Installed R5F27 as upgrade. Tried again, didn't work. Installed fresh and loaded database manually, didn't work. Installed fresh and it didn't work.

I've decided to switch from using the PVR-350 out to the integrated video card TV-out. Changed Bios settings to:
Code:
RGB/TV: TV
TV MODE SUPPORT: NTSC-M

This shows boot process and all command line on RCA out (component) but when X starts it outputs to 15pin VGA. I switched the xorg.conf file to the TV out sample. Which looked like it tried to work with the SVIDEO but was a scrambled (apparently this might be due to having SVIDEO and VGA plugged in at the same time http://readlist.com/lists/mythtv.org/mythtv-users/14/71815.html). What I'd like is to see the boot process and X display through SVIDEO.

I also couldn't get stereo analog audio working. Should I be using /dev/dsp0 (saw that in a post)?

WAF is quickly going down as my living room is scattered with parts, a huge CRT monitor (only available one at the time) and a non working mythbox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:30 pm 
If you want everything to appear on the TVout, keep the original xorg.conf and do not connect a monitor to the 15 pin connector. The nvidia drivers will sense it and switch X over to it if it is connected. If you only have your TV connected when you boot, the display should stay with that connector.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:37 pm 
Thermopyle wrote:
Lost my previous motherboard last week and decided to replace it with the M2NPV-VM. I was disappointed that it didn't come with spdif connectors. Installed R5F27 as upgrade. Tried again, didn't work. Installed fresh and loaded database manually, didn't work. Installed fresh and it didn't work.

I've decided to switch from using the PVR-350 out to the integrated video card TV-out. Changed Bios settings to:
Code:
RGB/TV: TV
TV MODE SUPPORT: NTSC-M

This shows boot process and all command line on RCA out (component) but when X starts it outputs to 15pin VGA. I switched the xorg.conf file to the TV out sample. Which looked like it tried to work with the SVIDEO but was a scrambled (apparently this might be due to having SVIDEO and VGA plugged in at the same time http://readlist.com/lists/mythtv.org/mythtv-users/14/71815.html). What I'd like is to see the boot process and X display through SVIDEO.

I also couldn't get stereo analog audio working. Should I be using /dev/dsp0 (saw that in a post)?

WAF is quickly going down as my living room is scattered with parts, a huge CRT monitor (only available one at the time) and a non working mythbox.

I'm using this board with a tv at the moment and had to add something to the xorg file to get it to work right. Check here, as this is what helped me. I had to add "TV standard" or "TV" somewhere, but I'm not at my box right now to tell you.

For the sound, did you go into alsamixer and unmute things? Sound defaults to mute on this board for me. Then you'll have to alsactl store to get it to save the changes.

Post subject: new issues resloved?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:32 am 
Got everything functional but not necessarily reliable. Time will tell. I ended up using S-Video out and it works from bios to mythfrontend. Audio is working but was flaky for a while but I think that was due to a bitrate issue with my PVR-150. Was getting NVP: Timed out waiting for free video buffers but I'm pretty sure I fixed that by adding acpi_use_timer_override noapic to the append line of lilo.conf and running lilo -v (this loads the conf to the bootrecord). Might consider dropping this to tier 2.

Post subject: Audio fubar
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:37 pm 
The audio on the recordings or live is screwed up. It's not always broken, and some channels seem to be worse. The source (composite from FIOS box) is fine when I connect directly to receiver. Seems to be much worse on the PVR150. It sounds like it's clipping horribly. Sometimes it's not too bad but clicks when I skip or jump. No errors in dmesg and nothing obvious in /var/log/myth/.

Post subject: update on audio issue
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:15 pm 
Keep thinking I solve this problem and it keeps reoccurring. 2 ways to temporarily fix the problem:

1. change recording profile bitrates.
2. run v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video1 --set-ctrl=audio_emphasis=2 where video1 is the device (in my case the 2nd tuner card from the CPU).

the second solution I got from http://www.mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16594&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=setctrl+audioemphasis&start=30. Apparently this problem is with the PVR350 and IVTV and NOT this motherboard.

Still tier 1, although I make sure you don't need digital audio or serial ports as it comes with neither.

Go to page 1, 2  Next