PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:20 pm 
The installation process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:25 pm 
BluesBrian wrote:
Sadly, in Linux land,
Quote:
ls -al /usr/local/bin/ | more
is often passed off as user documentation.

This stuff takes a lot of of work, remarks like that make me wonder why I bother.

The hints are not an all encompassing cradle to grave installation manual. I specifically mention this right up front.
Quote:
This is also intended to be a supplement to Cecil's Pamphlet and change list rather than a replacement. As a result it tends to skip issues they cover, so don't forget to review those before you start.

I have no interest in producing such a document. I don't get paid to do this, and when I am getting paid it's to do heavy duty system engineering and software development (i.e. I am not a tech writer and generally don't enjoy writing tedious instructions at a 6th grade reading level or spending hours mucking with formatting). I do not have the hardware, the time, or the inclination to explore, exercise and document every path through the install or upgrade process. If you wanted to hire me to spend several months doing that full time at twice my normal hourly rate I would decline the job offer.

The hints are intended to be just that. A set of hints for dealing with the most commonly encountered issues. A guide to known pitfalls and how to avoid them. Perhaps most of all a convenient reference to point people to when either their searches fail or they fail to search.

Last edited by tjc on Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:03 pm 
tjc wrote:
BluesBrian wrote:
Sadly, in Linux land,
Quote:
ls -al /usr/local/bin/ | more
is often passed off as user documentation.

This stuff takes a lot of of work, remarks like that make me wonder why I bother.

I humbly apologize for the implication. Your suggestion was sound. My comment was directed at the Linux community in general and was not intended to be personal. And I apologize to everyone else on this forum, I was completely out of place.
tjc wrote:
The hints are not an all encompassing cradle to grave installation manual...

I understand that. Thanks for restating it for the less informed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:45 pm 
that reminds me.... thanks tjc for all your effort. It saves us all a lot of time.
Your thread is a very helpful to me in deciding when a release has been field tested enough. Still I usually only last a few weeks before the temptation is too great and I take the plunge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:04 pm 
Wasn't sure this was the correct place but I found an issue with the Hints and Tips.

I am upgrading from R5C7 Clean install.

Quote:
1.2) Check that the backup worked! If you are upgrading from:

- R5C7 - Use the /usr/local/bin/checkbackup.sh already installed on your system.

I checked several locations manually for this script. It dis not seem to exist in my installation.

Followed the instruction for R5B7
Quote:
R5B7 and even earlier versions - Get the check_backup.sh script which can be found on the MythBackupAndRestoreHowTo page on the wiki. Note that you may need to make a simple change to the tar commands in that script...

That worked fine on my MBE.
On both of my SBE's it gave me expected errors in the Check DB dump and compare to Live Tables. That actually is expected I believe as the SBE does not have a SQL instance on it so it should appear different.

If you would like I can post the errors it gave me on 1 of my SBE's they appeared identical for both of them.

Now onto the final stuff..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:33 pm 
Fixed. The good news is it let me make it simpler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:24 am 
You mention disabling the ir_kbd_i2c module but don't clarify where to do this. I checked ivtv file and didn't find it. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:08 am 
ucffool wrote:
You mention disabling the ir_kbd_i2c module but don't clarify where to do this. I checked ivtv file and didn't find it. Any suggestions?

See this article in the wiki http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... ld115HowTo

and this thread in the forum http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... t=irkbdi2c

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:03 pm 
Schedules Direct Membership -- $15
Blank CD for KM installer -- $0.17
This guide -- $0.00

A smooth upgrade Priceless

Thanks again !!!

Post subject: Upgrade fumble
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:40 pm 
Hello, I'm a newbie with Linux in general - though I have a lot of computer experience - Windows, Netware and some Solaris. I've only been using KnoppMyth for about 6 months.

Of course, when I upgraded, I didn't realize that I would need to prepare for the Auto-Upgrade - as I thought the upgrade would just swap me to SchedulesDirect and leave the rest of the system alone. I suppose I've learned my lesson in this manner - I stay busy and barely have time to watch my videos, much less re-configure and troubleshoot this box for hours on end.

Apparently the symptoms I'm experiencing are probably because of the things I didn't do up front. I loved the previous version of KM because it was so easy to setup - but now I'm wondering how hard it would be to save my videos I like, but blow out the box and start all over.

I have a PVR-350 and the Silver/Gray remote....

In your opinion, would it be smoother to just start all over in this manner - I mean would a fresh install be smoother than all of the various problems I'm having now?

Thanks for your opinion(s)
-Cliff

Post subject: Re: Upgrade fumble
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:03 pm 
cgiddens wrote:
Hello, I'm a newbie with Linux in general - though I have a lot of computer experience - Windows, Netware and some Solaris. I've only been using KnoppMyth for about 6 months.

Of course, when I upgraded, I didn't realize that I would need to prepare for the Auto-Upgrade - as I thought the upgrade would just swap me to SchedulesDirect and leave the rest of the system alone. I suppose I've learned my lesson in this manner - I stay busy and barely have time to watch my videos, much less re-configure and troubleshoot this box for hours on end.

Apparently the symptoms I'm experiencing are probably because of the things I didn't do up front. I loved the previous version of KM because it was so easy to setup - but now I'm wondering how hard it would be to save my videos I like, but blow out the box and start all over.

I have a PVR-350 and the Silver/Gray remote....

In your opinion, would it be smoother to just start all over in this manner - I mean would a fresh install be smoother than all of the various problems I'm having now?

Thanks for your opinion(s)
-Cliff

I sometimes do a full rebuild.

When I do an install I make a text document of the actions/commands I perform. When I do a full rebuild it is easy to not forget things because of this.

I have separate disks for /myth/video and /myth/music so...

I just disconnect those drives and backup a few files like... lircrc, lircd.conf, fstab and if there are any TV shows in the /myth/pretty folder I want to watch I move them to the /myth/video folder.

Obviously not an exhaustive list of what I backup. The only real issue with the full rebuild I have found is that I then must reschedule all of my recordings and tweak it to my liking...but most of the tweaks I like are in my install notes. :)

Post subject: Rebuild
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:08 pm 
Thanks FORKD - I'll use this as a guideline and probably rebuild - I suppose I won't be too heart broken if I lose anything in there now - though it would be nice not to. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:42 pm 
ucffool wrote:

How about reading the rest of the section for known issue 5 which tells you exactly how to disable it, how to determine if it's safe to do that, and what your options are if it isn't?
tjc wrote:
5) If you are using a Hauppauge remote with the IR sensor dongle connected directly to the card and it only works sporadically you may need to disable the ir_kbd_i2c module. The ir_kbd_i2c and lirc_i2c modules simply do not play together nicely, with ir_kbd_i2c stealing events from lirc_i2c, and must occasionally be forcibly separated.

-> If you are not using a capture card which depends on the saa7134 module (typically DVB, HDTV and some other cards) you can either skip loading of the driver or remove it completely. Search your dmesg output for saa7134 to be sure:
Code:
dmesg | grep saa7134

The following chunk from my personal post install tweaks script comments out the loading of various dvb modules which happens whether you need them or not:
Code:
# Stop it from loading the dvb stuff which drags in the IR keyboard stuff
sed -si.orig -e 's/^\(modprobe dvb-bt8xx\)/#\1/' \
-e 's/^\(modprobe saa7134-dvb\)/#\1/' \
-e 's/^\(modprobe cx88-dvb\)/#\1/' \
/etc/init.d/KnoppMyth-tv
reboot

This is usually good enough, but I ended up deleting the driver because something else seemed to trigger the loading of those things regardless. Confused
Code:
rm -f /lib/modules/2.6.18-chw-13/kernel/drivers/media/video/ir-kbd-i2c.ko

--> If you do have a capture card that requires the saa7134 driver and thus the ir_kbd_i2c driver, your options look like this:

1) Avoid this combination of hardware. Not ideal.
2) Don't use the PVR card connection in system with a 7134 based card. Replace it with something like the StreamZap sensor. Basically solving the problem by tossing a little money at it.
3) Dummy out the guts of the ir_kbd_i2c driver or figure out how to remove the references to it in the saa7134 driver. This is the "sweat equity" approach. There is some coverage on it here: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16400

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:50 pm 
Two Issues people may want to consider when upgrading.

If you have an Air2PC version 3 and are changing to schedules direct, you may loose your xmltv ids for your QAM256 channels. I don't know how to get these other than manually entering them.

If you have a packard_bell remote for at least two of us it no longer works after upgrading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:22 am 
randomhtpcguy wrote:
If you have a packard_bell remote for at least two of us it no longer works after upgrading.

PM me the thread ID where this is discussed, and I'll see what I can do. There is an LIRC-related patch in R5F27's patcher now that probably wasn't there when you installed - maybe that'll do it.

TJC, shall I write up a list of things handled by R5F27's patcher? In some cases, R5F27 problems can be fixed by running LivePatch.sh. It'll reduce the scope of the documentation and fix some problems faster.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next